Hot Water but No heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm new here and have just purchased my first house.

We have been moved in 2 weeks now and have had no central heating.

I'll list the components:

Ideal Icos 15 (fitted 2008 serviced in Jan 2010)

Digital timer controller (can't remember the make)

Honeywell wireless thermostat

On the timer if you call for hot water the boiler fires straight up and the water gets warm. If you call for heating the boiler does nothing, It displays a 0 code.

I've checked the airing cupboard and there is a electric valve with a metal slide switch that was set the "auto" so I changed to "Manual" and hot water passed through and all the radiators came on. Happy Days. Then the timer and termostat operate as normal and the boiler goes on and off on demand for the heating.

Then that causes the oposite problem the hot water does not come on. So While the heating was on I changed the switch the airing cubboard back to Auto but then as soon as I tried the timer it was back the square one.

I hope you can all understand what I mean.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
First suspect would be the motorised valve, do you have the means to test it?

I'm highly experienced with car 12v electrical systems being in the motor trade but I've never done anything more then changed a plug in the house. I have a multimeter and I know I need to check for voltage at the motor but I don't know which connections to check?
Thanks for the reply

If the slide switch on the motorised valve has no resistance when you move it it means the valve as energised and is open.

If you move the slide switch and it returns on its self then its not powered.

The valves have 5 or 6 wires
brown =live 240v
blue = neutral
green/yellow = earth
grey = permant live these 2 can be low or high voltage
orange switch live

Sponsored Links
The valve in the airing cupboard? Does it have 2 or 3 ports? until you confirm type then all answers are premature.Lever should be in Man position.A pic would help ID.

on the wireless thermostat, is there a small flame symbol showing on the screen?

Ok at the moment when I call for heating theres a lot of resistance in the slide switch when changing it to manual but as soon as I do the boiler fires and the switch loses all resistance. The switch will lock into manual mode but if I lift it out of the lock and the turn the heating off and the water on the slide switch will return to auto mode by itself.
Hope that wasn't to confusing!

The valve is a Danfoss Randell HSa3. 3 port
The timer is a Danfoss FP715si
The thermostat is a honeywell hcw80

Sorry I can't do pics at the moment from my IPhone. Thanks again

take the thermostat next to the reciever, when you turn up the stat you should hear the reciever click, let us know what happens.

Just to update for anyone else with a similiar problem,

I replaced the Mid position valve actuator and it solved the problem.

£26 from ebay took 10 mins to replace :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back