hot water circulation pump

Sponsored Links
namsag said:
The pump you should have is a grundfos UPA 15/90 domestic water boosting pump with built in flow switch.
I was assuming the hot water circulator was on the secondary return to the cylinder, so eliminating the long dead end of cold water, not a flow boosting pump. The UPS 15-50 B 130 is fact a bronze bodied pump for secondary circulation purposes, so the OP's description of his pump might be this. :rolleyes:

namsag said:
You say you have a UPS 15/50 fitted to your hot water pipe to the hot taps. This is a central heating pump and not designed to be used in this way. Even if they did cover pumps on HW which i am pretty certain they don`t unless it is a recent thing , this is an installation fault and would not be covered under the exclusions in terms and conditions.
Your argument of its attached to HW so assumed it would be covered , you would not expect them to replace your bath/sink taps etc think it`s time to read the contract exclusions.

The pump you should have is a grundfos UPA 15/90 domestic water boosting pump with built in flow switch.

Edit .
Have checked terms and conditions on BG website not covered at all
I take your points but cannot see on my conditions form any reference to 'with exception of pumps' the schedule clearly states [it was know as 3 star service ] hot water pipes and tank under the central heating cover list. Also why have I in the last week been told by 3 different people at the BG service centre 'Yes it is covered' yet just the one jumped up a******e decided it wasn't.

We didn't have it fitted t was in and working when we moved in. They telephoned us to ask if we wanted to change supplier to BG we said we'll think about it. Then they offered this 3star cover and the schedule stated c/heating and hot pipes and tank that's why we took the cover out. Nobody surveyed what they were proposing to cover, no exclusions mention the pump so as far as I am concerened its covered so may take legal action on the basis they never surveyed what they promised to cover to ensure all was correct. I may get a plumber to do the business, pay him as I don't see why he should be dragged into it, and bill BG homeserve.

Sponsored Links
We need the FULL details of the pump please. A 15-50 MAY be a bronze pump or it may be a central heating pump.

Give BG the opportunity to reconsider before you get an engineer. Only talk to someone in authoruty who gives you a full name. Dont just accept a first name, they cannot be traced !

I dont think they will take much persuading ( particularly after the advert I saw! That would justify a complaint to the ASA. )

You MUST get a written reply saying they will not fix it BEFORE you do anything further.

Tony

Agile said:
You have still not told us what the pump make and model is so we cannot make any comment on flow switches!

Tony
Full details on the pump .
Grundfos
Selectric
988 123

UPS 15-50 TF 110 IP 42 PC 9528 then in a boxing like mini spreadsheet.
1/1 (A) P1 (W)
3 0.42 105
2 0.28 70
1 0.17 40
CLASS H
That's all I can offer nothing else on the black label I must admit this is similar or same type put on my central heating in London.

That does not sound like the bronze model you should have use on hot water ! It sounds like a standard central heating pump.

My view is that BG should cover a hot water circulating pump but if yours is not the correct type for the purpose then they dont have to do so.

The bronze ones are about £140 and you will probably have to fit a new one yourself.

The control panel is another unknown. What can you tell us about that?

Tony

Circulating Pumps Ltd do a cheap bronze pump - I picked one up for around £60 via an on-line suplier.

Horsenden you mention having 3 star but no mention of plumbing cover, the reason people at service cente will be saying yes and other saying no is because they are office workers and don`t know the difference between a cental heating pump which is covered and a domestic booster pump which is not.

I doubt you will get anywhere about 7 years ago i think it was the father of the guy who does the consumer legal watchdog type page in the daily Telegraph was in the same position and after several articles slagging of BG he still did not get his pump.

We wait and see

namsag said:
they ..... don`t know the difference between a cental heating pump which is covered and a domestic booster pump.
And namsag doesn't know the difference between a domestic booster pump and a DHW secondary circulator. :rolleyes:

horsenden said:
My Grundfos hot water circulation pump has failed.
in feed out from storage tank in shower room airing cupboard. The hot feeds to the basin,shower and in bathroom next door are fine but the kitchen which is 20mt app: away [hence the pump as were in a bungalow] delivery is slow and if on a meter would cost a fortune in lost water.
The OP doesn't specifically say anything about secondary circulation but that is what you would expect to counter the problem being described - water waste at the kitchen tap (20 metres away) due to the amount of cold to draw off before the hot gets through.

A booster pump would do nothing to reduce the waste of water which is what the OP complains about. Also the pump type - UPS 15-50 - is the type you would expect on a secondary return, although it seems that he might have not have a bronze pump (hence the pump failure?). A booster pump would have a different designation.

We have a launderette and the water is heated directly by a gas boiler.

The water is circulated from the storage cylinder through the boiler and for economy I use a recovered 15-50 heating pump. The current one has been in use for about 20 years in this application ever since I fitted the boiler ( CH502 ) and its still going. I use magnetic water treatment on the boiler loop using a magnet from a large LS !

Whilst its not the correct item to use, from my past experience I would now use a CH pump in my own home for HW circulation.

Tony

Agile said:
That does not sound like the bronze model you should have use on hot water ! It sounds like a standard central heating pump.

My view is that BG should cover a hot water circulating pump but if yours is not the correct type for the purpose then they dont have to do so.

The bronze ones are about £140 and you will probably have to fit a new one yourself.

The control panel is another unknown. What can you tell us about that?

Tony

All cables : c/heating pump [works, can be felt running] two motorised valves [not 100% sure], Thermostat on tank, and the pain in the a**e pump go into White surface fitted box around the size of a light switch and above about 24 ins away is a double pole switch with two cables coming from it down to this panel/box.
Just took the cover off and there are cables terminated in the cover and plastic terminal blocks in the back sectionof the box. I looks a bit likes Josephs multi colour coat. Bit warey as I copped a packet off a small light round junction box putting it's cover back on with my finger over the screw touched the 'live' Oh s**t that hurt, Mind you I'm lucky the one before that was 415volts Blocked off Hammersmith Broadway London they thought it was a bomb. Any way don't know what it is power point or c/heating control panel never seen one before only the larger c/heating control panels. Post reply but wont' be able to pick it up for a while will be on hols from tomorrow [2 weeks] but may be able to access from brother in laws computer in France, will give it a try.

THANKS TO ALL

Have resigned myself to the fact that BG won't change it even though my contract cocer states HOT WATER PIPES but no details mentioned on what it coveres and what it doesn't. Have to rely on those in the BG homeserve office to decide amongst themselves who's right and who's wrong. The end
Horseden. Sorry my thanks has been delayed as I've been on holiday.

What did P**s me off was they lied and said the egineer said the pump was sludged up yet domestic pumps may lime up a bit but not sludge up as it's been pointed out, plus he never tested it as he was told by office not to touch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back