Hot water control motoried valve

RJT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just had (a year ago) a Plan W control system fitted to my newly installed replacement gas fired boiler & HW cyclinder

I seem to be wasting a vast amount of heat, due to thermal drift. The HW cylinder is situated just below the boiler. The temp readout out reads 43deg C 12 hours AFTER the boiler has shut down.

I am trying to get the installer back to site to change the pipework for a Plan S which will mean two separate motorised valves instead of one three way valve.

Does a Plan W system meet current building regs?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
A W-Plan system is usually just Y-Plan with hot water priority. There's nothing wrong with it that type of system unless you have high hot water demand as the central heating will suffer a bit. Was there any reason you had a W-Plan system installed?
I suppose it could be circulating by gravity as the motorised valve will be open to the cylinder circuit at rest, in which case an S-Plan system where the valves are normally closed would stop this.
If he knows what he is doing he can still set up the system using zone valves to give priority to the hot water if that's what u want. He can with use a relay or use a zone valve that is normally open for the heating which will close when there is hot water demand.

I didn't have any choice and expected two separate valves to be fitted. I have no need to have priority for hot water at all.

It definitely is thermal drift issue. I expected an energy efficient system but I seem to be paying to keep the boiler hot even when the boiler is off.

I'm trying to see if I can argue this from a Building Regs point of view.

I'm trying to see if I can argue this from a Building Regs point of view.

Nothing wrong with your type of system, but the way its piped up and behaves is not correct, but its not a regs issue. S plan will fix that.

Sponsored Links
But how do I get the installers back to put right what I expected to be a efficient system rather than what I have now. A total waste of energy!!

What were you quoted for? If it was for a 3 port valve, I think you have little claim, cause that's what you've got. By how much does the dhw temp drop? I wouldn't think it amounts to much energy waste. Get your original installer back and discuss your concerns, but don't expect a free controls upgrade.

Which boiler and cylinder did you have installed?

What temperature is the cylinder stat set to?

What are your heating and hot water on/off times?

When does the most hot water get drawn?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back