hot water cut off accident

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a belta a few years back, a very stupid mistake/mistakes. on some thermostatic bath mixers there is a cut out for if the mains cold is interrupted to stop the flow of water to prevent scalding.

ie. if you isolate the cold water and there is gravity hot the hot will no longer flow but will still be live to the pipes. i was disconnecting a bath and did isolate the cold but then turned off a valve on one primary circ instead of the cold feed to the cylinder.

i went downstairs, opened the bath taps to drain the water, all water stopped so i cut the pipes and then very quickly realised my error. and then had a week off work due to the burns i recived whilst fitting a blank to the hot.

you would be suprised how much damage 60 degree water can do to you. i've not made this mistake again needless to say.

Sponsored Links
thats why you should double check with another hot tap or isolate the hot first.

i did check on other taps, but all hot water in property was blended. silly mistake. like i say, i wont be doing it again haha.

Sponsored Links
A mistake is a lesson learned, if you do the same again, then you are an idiot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back