Hot Water Cylinder lid - loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a hot water cylinder in an all electric flat. It is an e7 set-up with storage heaters etc.

The hot water cylinder itself is only heated by a single immersion heater located at the bottom. The tank is quite tall, maybe around 1.3m. One odd thing I have noticed is that the tank has a simple flat top with an ill fitting copper lid. This lid is easily removable and exposes the interior, eater an all. I cannot see into it as the tank is above head height, but I can feel the water if I carefully put my hand in over the top.

I estimate that the tank is quite old. It works fine but has a poorly fitted jacket aroud it. I am going to fix it on properly with some better straps.

I was wondering if I can either improve the insulation of the lid (or locate a replacement lid, with insulation (unlikely given the age of the tank).

I can find no examples of this type of cylinder design online so I was hoping others have come across it.

It it somthing to do with the fact that there are no expansion tanks elsewhere in the flat or building so it is built into the cylinder? Therefore the top part of the cylinder is an expansion tank of some sort?

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/albion-mainsflo-mf25-140-c-p-dir-combi-l/

Is somthing like that the modern equivalent?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Google "hot water cylinder with built in header tank" and look at the images.

(Are you sure the heater is exposed?)

The header tank contains cold water, so insulation there is not important.

I think that is what I suspected.

I cannot see as it is too high up near the ceiling (it is raised up within an airing cupboard). However I am assuming that it only exposes the header section and not any heating elements.

I was just confused as to why the lid was so ill-fitting.

I also wondered how much heat would get transfered to the header tank and then escape. I suppose the cold water in the header actually acts as a good heat insulator.

It is just arkward to fit a jacket on with such a loose lid.

Based on your named description, it looks similar to somthing like this...I think...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-WATER...STORAGE-VESSEL-IMMERSION-HEATER-/122010546567

If so, would you argree that the best course of action is to ensure the side insulation is well fitted, but not be too concerned with the top.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If it's seriously ill-fitting you might like to fix that to avoid too much crud getting in to the system.
A slab of solid insulation e.g. polystyrene, celotex etc over the lid would be the easiest way to insulate it, if you bother at all.

Sponsored Links
That is a fortic cylinder, a hot water cylinder with a cold tank above. Normally fitted in flat where there is no loft. It normally have a loose lid on top.

No need for insulation, just go around the side of tank, the top is not important.

Daniel.

Thank you for your replies.

A further question related to the same hot water cylinder.

The flow rate out of the hot water taps (especially the kitchen) is really awful. I would say maybe as low as 5l/min. It is nothing more than over exuberant dribble.

Is this to be expected with this type of set up i.e the header tank being no heigher than ceiling height, which I assume results in a poor "low pressure" set-up.

Is there anything I should check that could be an alternative cause for this?

The poor flow rates seem to be accross all outlets. Any valves I should look for/check to ensure they are fully open?

Do you get limescale in Nottinghamshire?

Normally there would be one valve near the outlet from the cylinder.

I do not think limescale is a major issue in the area. However I guess there could be a build up if the tank is circa 1960s. Any descaling products to safelyflush the tank thorough? OR will it be too encrusted by this point?

I see two valves. Once visible coming off the tank about 2/3 up. There is another valve on the pipes going into the kitchen. I assume these are to quickly isolate the kitchen supply.

The kitchen ones are fully open as far as I can see. Will try the one coming off the tank.

With this old setup. What flow rate would one expect too see?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back