Hole in cold water storage tank lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Looking for some advice please. Just noticed that my cw tank in the loft has quite a big hole in the lid. What looks like has happened is a hole was made for the vent pipe from the hot water cylinder, and for whatever reason the hole was in slightly the wrong place, so a second hole has been made, which is where the vent pipe now sits. The two holes over lap to some degree, so it looks a bit like a figure of 8 which the two holes side by side, overlapping a little.

I am wondering what a safe way to cover the unused hole would be? I am a little concerned about moisture / steam escaping into the loft from this hole, and also the potential for vermin to get into the tank. The tank does have an insulation jacket across the top. I appreciate this water is not drinking water, however as its used to feed the hot water cylinder, bath in, brush teeth etc, I don't want to use anything 'toxic' or dangerous or something that might get mouldy (wood etc), equally I want something quite sturdy to patch the hole (to keep vermin out and moisture in). I measured the dimensions of the lid and I cannot get a new lid through the loft hatch, hence the patch. I notice the underside of the lid has lots of water droplets, not sure if that's from steam from the vent or just a natural thing when you have a lid over a large amount of water (hence my moisture concern).

Is there a particular plastic I can buy, or a water-safe tape etc I use to patch the hole please?

Any advice gratefully welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Hello!

Looking for some advice please. Just noticed that my cw tank in the loft has quite a big hole in the lid. What looks like has happened is a hole was made for the vent pipe from the hot water cylinder, and for whatever reason the hole was in slightly the wrong place, so a second hole has been made, which is where the vent pipe now sits. The two holes over lap to some degree, so it looks a bit like a figure of 8 which the two holes side by side, overlapping a little.

I am wondering what a safe way to cover the unused hole would be? I am a little concerned about moisture / steam escaping into the loft from this hole, and also the potential for vermin to get into the tank. The tank does have an insulation jacket across the top. I appreciate this water is not drinking water, however as its used to feed the hot water cylinder, bath in, brush teeth etc, I don't want to use anything 'toxic' or dangerous or something that might get mouldy (wood etc), equally I want something quite sturdy to patch the hole (to keep vermin out and moisture in). I measured the dimensions of the lid and I cannot get a new lid through the loft hatch, hence the patch. I notice the underside of the lid has lots of water droplets, not sure if that's from steam from the vent or just a natural thing when you have a lid over a large amount of water (hence my moisture concern).

Is there a particular plastic I can buy, or a water-safe tape etc I use to patch the hole please?

I wouldn't be too concerned about it Raj. Just stick some good quality Duct Tape over it, that'll seal it up.

My Granny was born & lived in a house all her life, this house had nothing but lead pipes, she smoked 40 fags a day, drank beer & whisky most days - she lived until she was 103 & worked until she was 86.

Oh the environment can have a big effect on our life span, but genetics & a happy disposition can play an even bigger part.

As Richard says or wrap an old scarf around the pipe where it enters.

Sponsored Links
Hello!

I wouldn't be too concerned about it Raj. Just stick some good quality Duct Tape over it, that'll seal it up.

My Granny was born & lived in a house all her life, this house had nothing but lead pipes, she smoked 40 fags a day, drank beer & whisky most days - she lived until she was 103 & worked until she was 86.

Oh the environment can have a big effect on our life span, but genetics & a happy disposition can play an even bigger part.

Well said. I do find that these days with all the rules and regs that its all got a bit too poncy. My Granddad used to use matchsticks when he didn't have a plug - lived till he was nearly 90 and No, he wasn't electrocuted :LOL:

I feel sorry for the kids, Mummy or Daddy drops them off at Skool & picks them up again. They are not to play in the dirt, climb trees & go home covered in grass stains. Imagine a childhood were you've never built a treehouse or den/hut?? That's not a childhood its a prison sentence!!

Thanks for all of the reply's everyone. I have currently duct taped some cut down pipe lagging over the hole (as it says its moisture resistant and wont support mold growth) I am cautious as to what I use due to considerations of mold or using a material that's not good to mix with water (eg lead) still not sure if the lagging is a good idea or not. Fully agree things sometimes go too far, as everyone says we all grew up playing outside, getting mucky etc, sometime hard to know how far to take these things especially with relation to our kids health. Any other / better solutions to mine welcomed

You really do not need to worry, but if you do want to be super fussy, get a lid off an old tupperware box or ice cream container, cut a neat hole slip into place and secure with tape or stainless steel self tappers. ;)

Hi footprints, thanks for the reply - as you can probably tell, I am a bit neurotic (?) especially as its water - related and I have a 4 year old who is my world and I would hate to do anything that might cause her harm (as I am sure all parents would). Equally the rational part of my brain tells me I am worrying over nothing. I like that idea or a tupperware lid, that sounds perfect!! Thank you for the idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back