Vented water tank - no lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some background, just bought a house and preparing to move into it - it's a very old house > 150 years old

I had a problem today which was solved due to @Mottie and @terryplumb's big brains (Thanks guys)
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bought-an-old-house-water-tank-blocked.571628/

Now, whilst solving that problem I crawled into the loft and had a look at the water tank. It had a DIY polystyrene lid covered by bagged insulation. There is a big hole in the polystyrene where a copper pipe hangs into the tank (I think that must be to vent the cylinder?). The tank isn't clean and could see webs hanging off the vent pipe.

Now I want to clean it up and put a lid on it which will seal it securely. Maybe just a piece of plywood with a hole for the vent pipe? and some masking tape to cover any gaps?

I was hoping that I could buy a lid for the tank but it looks like it's designed to not have a lid? Can anyone give me any advice on all this?? I would've thought it extremely dangerous not to fully seal a water tank? Some pics below

PXL_20210522_162501091.jpg
PXL_20210522_162409850.jpg
PXL_20210522_144409503.jpg
PXL_20210522_173102524.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, planning on cleaning and disinfecting it today - and will do a makeshift lid - will probably use a bylaw 30 kit.Will revisit later to deal with the lid issue. Have sent an email to kingspan for advice

By the way, have taken advice from the following old thread on how to clean and disinfect. It basically says after scrubbing the tank add some household bleach to the water and flush through. Is that advice still current? From @Agile https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-do-you-clean-out-a-water-tank.167037/

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Glad today's over.. I wish I had an assistant! So after muchas trips to a very awkward loft.. here are some before and after pics of the clean up.

I made a DIY lid out of heavy duty bin liners and unibond tape. Pretty well sealed I think but feel free to take the p1ss!

PXL_20210523_142350869.jpg
PXL_20210523_153558410.jpg
PXL_20210523_165136657.jpg

It was probably permitted, or more because local councils enforced water regulations many years ago. You might be able to fit a byelaw 30 kit, but try contacting https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en-gb/products/hot-water-cylinders/ferham-cold-water-tanks to be certain.
In case anyone's curious this is the email response I just received from kingspan. I'm quite liking the look of their 'low level coffin' tank in the brochure (attached)
Hi,

Unfortunately your tank is now obsolete.

Please find attached sales brochure showing our current models we manufacture.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Kingspan Ferham 6pp DL OCT 2019 LR.pdf
    493.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back