How do you clean out a water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a water tank on my roof (not attice due to flat conversion years ago). I recently had my flat roof re-felted and the tank lid replaced. I think some gunge got into the tank while the work was going on as my hot water has been not running as hard since. The heat is fine - it just doesn't ran as hard. I had this problem before in another flat and someone had to come and flush my pipes out and clean the tank. Is there an easy method to do this myself (I am not too hot at DIY)? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Issolate the mains feed, drain down via hot taps and clear obstruction and clean out tank.
With hot taps still open, open mains feed and flush out tank, when running clear close hot taps and allow to refill.

Should of said turn off programmer to heating and hot water before draining. when you have done the above turn programmer back on.

Drain tank!

Get a bucket and scrubbing brush and jump in and start work.

Wash all the dirt away with a hose and then fill up and add some sodium hypochlorite ( bleach ) and leave for about an hour to kill any bacteria before flushing through for about an hour or until the smell of chlorine ceases.

Tony

Thanks for this. Just one question - how do you 'open the mains feed and flush out the tank'?

Sponsored Links
He means that you let the water run in to the now clean tank and out via all your hot taps to flush the system.

If it was me, i would shut the feed to the tank and drain it onto the roof. Clean it with the feed shut at the tank OUTLET but still allowing the dirty water to drain onto the roof as i clean. Now fill and flush as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back