Country
United Kingdom
Large house with 5 double bedrooms

Bathroom - 1 large bath, 2 showers
Bathroom - 1 large bath
En-suite 1 - shower
En-suite 2 - shower
En-suite 3 - shower

What sort of HW cylinder size would you recommend, was thinking 10 people max. 45-50 litres each, 450-500 litres (2 cylinders perhaps)? Would appreciate any comments.

Sponsored Links
More info.

What are you thinking of doing?
Mains pressure hot water?
Is this a small hotel?
What is the usage?
Will all showers be on at the same time?

It is usually best to divide and rule and split the system.

More info.

Is this a small hotel?
What is the usage?

It is usually best to divide and rule and split the system.

Providing a hot water system to large domestic house

Yes, off boosted supply tank and pump set

Is this a small hotel?
No

What is the usage?
10 people max (5 beds)

Could be.

A bath will take 100 litres, more if it is a big one, so I like the idea of a dedicated cylinder for each bath.

You won't have enough water delivered to the house to run 3 instant showers at the same time (whether electric or combi). And you will not have enough electricity to run more than one electric shower at a time.

I stayed at a place in Australia which had a hot cylinder for each bathroom/shower room) and I thought that was great. It means no one greedy person can hog all the hot water, even if he has a power shower squirting it away at high flow.

I am not a plumber.

Sponsored Links
A minimum 300 litre storage unit fully pumped supply outlet. If energy running costs are of secondary importance then I would go for a 500 litre unit to guarantee adequate capacity.

Providing a hot water system to large domestic house

Yes, off boosted supply tank and pump set

Is this a small hotel?
No

What is the usage?
10 people max (5 beds)

Could be.

Bathroom - 1 large bath, 2 showers
Bathroom - 1 large bath
En-suite 1 - shower
En-suite 2 - shower
En-suite 3 - shower

You have high pressure water, so heat bank/thermal storage is the best way. One large cylinder unit can do and have three DHW plate heat exchangers on the cylinder (dividing and ruling). One doing the baths only, highly unlikely two baths will be running simultaneously, and the showers split between the other two. Take the kitchen, etc of the bath plate heat exchanger. Shower is king, so dedicated plates for these.

The heat bank can do the CH directly using TRVs all around using a Smart pump. Or two CH loops off the cylinder to zone the CH to upstairs and downstairs.

The heat bank can be heated via electric immersions for backup, or full usage if gas prices go through the roof.

Heat the heat bank cylinder "directly" by boilers to give rapid recovery and use two small cheaper boilers in such a large house. This gives backup too. Control boilers with boiler sequencing for economical running. Look around there are many about.
http://www.warmworld.co.uk/026.html £190 + VAT
http://www.warmworld.co.uk/itemlist.php/clashist/-1,1,2/findclas/2/findchil/1

A heat bank can have a solar coil fitted in readiness for solar panels.
For further info see: http://www.heatweb.com for info and sizing tools for cylinder.

Look at these. They do custom made thermal stores:
http://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/

Fit a magnaclean filter on the return on each CH loop back to the cylinder - essential.

Avoid unvented cylinders as you need an annual service on these. Heat banks give so much more in your situation.

2 unvented cylinders(high recovery) of 200-250 would probably be the best idea, added benefit that if you are in a low use period, you could isolate 1 and save heating up more than you use.

2 unvented cylinders(high recovery) of 200-250 would probably be the best idea, added benefit that if you are in a low use period, you could isolate 1 and save heating up more than you use.

Thermal storage is the best. I doubt you understand it. In summer only part of the cylinder is used. Two unvented cylinders? That is maybe two boiler and FOUR services a year in total. A waste of expensive time.

Thermal storage is the best. I doubt you understand it.

yes I have a full understanding of your rust buckets you keep spouting about, unfortunately you only know what you read. Your not a heating engineer, you just spout sales rubbish at everyone. Get yourself some tools get off the pc and see what its like in the real world.
thermal stores are rubbish, warm air is rubbish, I don't need to justify my comments, just speak to the customers who have this carp. You live in cloud cuckoo land.
3 plate he's and a rust bucket=trouble. ever heard of scale or sludge?? oh I forgot they don't mention these in sales brochures. course you haven't.
Heat it with an immersion? yeh that will recover quickly won't it bright spark.

get a proper job drivel.

Thermal storage is the best. .
that explains why the largest UK manufacturer of thermal stores just went bust won't it Dr drivel.

The only drivel around here is you. Gledhill sell primarily to the new build market. They make every type of DHW storage vessel. New houses stopped being built and a part of the company had administrators called in. They are still trading, and make thermal stores.

http://www.gledhill.net

I agree with mickyg, bigburner is bigbullshit. Have you even got any tools or qualifications?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back