hot water cylinder thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just recieved a £750 electric bill for 2 months, do need to cut down on a few things, starting with my emersion heater, it is very hot and i need to fit a thermostat, i have just bought a drayton hts3 cylinder thermostat but am not sure where i wire it to, i have a wire coming from the top of my boiler going to my timer, and another wire coming from my timer to a junction box, so where do i connect my wires from my hot water cylinder thermostat too,

Sponsored Links
Hi

You haven't bought the correct thing. The HTS3 can only switch 3A - a typical immersion heater is 3Kw (13A ish).

Are you sure your immersion heater doesn't already have a thermostat? It will be located in the element housing.

If it doesn't, you would be better off replacing your whole element with one of these.

Steve

I have just recieved a £750 electric bill for 2 months, do need to cut down on a few things, starting with my emersion heater, it is very hot and i need to fit a thermostat, i have just bought a drayton hts3 cylinder thermostat but am not sure where i wire it to, i have a wire coming from the top of my boiler going to my timer, and another wire coming from my timer to a junction box, so where do i connect my wires from my hot water cylinder thermostat too,

Ever get the feeling that you want to give up on life....... that`s me now..

starting with my emersion heater, it is very hot and i need to fit a thermostat, i have just bought a drayton hts3 cylinder thermostat but am not sure where i wire it to,

Do you really mean immersion heater, or do you mean the cylinder. If you mean the immersion heater, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING, AND GET SOMEONE IN.

Sponsored Links
Hi

You haven't bought the correct thing. The HTS3 can only switch 3A - a typical immersion heater is 3Kw (13A ish).

Are you sure your immersion heater doesn't already have a thermostat? It will be located in the element housing.

If it doesn't, you would be better off replacing your whole element with one of these.

Steve
is the element housing the big thing sat on top of the boiler

An immersion heater. It has a thermostat under the cap. These are adjustable but sometimes fail. You should adjust it so the water is about 60C. If you cut the power and take a photo of what's under the cap we can estimate if it is obsolete or modern. Generally an external cylinder stat is not required

p1758778_l.jpg

A Hot water cylinder. This one has a rigid foam insulating coating. If your does not have this it will be wasting a lot of heat. You can buy a red insulating jacket which will save enough electricity to pay for itself very quickly

p1758186_l.jpg

Climaflex pipe insulation. you will benefit from putting this on all hot pipes (and any pipes in unheated areas like lofts where they might freeze)

p4753136_l.jpg

This is a boiler.
p4762463_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back