Hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if this brilliant site could help me. I am refurbishing a property which has an old floor standing boiler, with gravity hot water (via coil to cylinder) and pumped heating. I want to temporarily remove the indirect cylinder, but be able to keep the heating on (hot water does not matter). My question is can I remove the indirect cylinder, disconnecting the flow and returns where they join the coil and cap them off? Will I still be able to run the heating? - Would it be better to link them together to keep the hot water circuit going?? - and can this be done. Basically I want to be able to run the heating for now, with no cylinder in place.
Hope this makes sense - any help would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
You can do either regarding capping or making a loop BUT make sure you leave a vent pipe and cold feed from tank in loft :eek:

Thanks so much for your response - can I just ask one more thing - can I use plastic Hep pipe to link/cap flow and return (as it is temporary) - or will it melt as it will be fairly close to the boiler
thanks again

Ralp said:
Thanks so much for your response - can I just ask one more thing - can I use plastic Hep pipe to link/cap flow and return (as it is temporary) - or will it melt as it will be fairly close to the boiler
thanks again

I don't use plastic but i am sure if you refer to manufacturers instructions it will tell you you can providing it is 1 metre from boiler i think ?

Sponsored Links
Guest say NO CAN DO for gravity feeds ...... But it might be good to do fer a laff :p

Sorry im not sure if you are being serious - are Guest a make? - Are you saying do not use Hep to cap off or create loop? - Im a bit confused now - Please help

Or are you saying that I can not cap/loop the flow /return at all?

http://www.johnguest.com/

The site says don't use their plastic for gravity fed systems.

I'd stick to copper just to be safe (Its bloody hot that water) ...... 10 mins to whack in a quick U bend...... could use elbows if you haven't gotta pipe bender handy :D

Thanks - yes think I will use copper - sounds a safer bet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back