Disconnecting Indirect Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to disconnect and drain an elevated indirect hot water cylinder as the base on which it is supported is chipboard !! and showing signs of imminent collapse - I plan to replace it with 20mm marine ply. I know how to disconnect hot and cold water supplies and drain cylinder but am unsure how I should isolate heating system water flowing through coil via flow and return pipes - no obvious valves between boiler and cylinder. Will I need to drain the heating system? Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yes you will need to drain the heating and you will also have to drain the cylinder , this will not drain purely be openiong the hot taps , if there is no drain off on the cylinder the may be one on the cold feed into the cylinder if not you will have to remove the top pipe off the cylider and push a hose in it and then drain it this way !!! :p

Luckily theres a drain tap set in the base of the cylinder so no need to syphon the water out. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
Sometimes if the drain cock washer is stuck (assuming you don't have an aquavac) you are better siphoning the cylinder with a hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back