Hot water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being to most difficult, how hard would it be to fit a new hot water cylinder tank.

Sponsored Links
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being to most difficult, how hard would it be to fit a new hot water cylinder tank.

Not hugely difficult if you have the ability to drain system and are capable of tightening a couple of nuts, and the unbelievable good fortune of having me live on this Forum, guiding you through the process as we speak! Let me know when you are gonna do it & I`ll be here to walk you through process. ;)

Sponsored Links
changing a a circulating pump or a toielt and everything works back in fine. :( but unfortunally with plumbing and heating this theroy doesn't quite come into play all the time. i'm not trying to tell someone that they couldn't change a domestic hot water cylinder and paint the picture black, in theroy it is just a matter of draining the tank and your heating system (no need if its a direct or an economy 7 system) and with the kind help of the chap thats going to be giving 24 hour free professional help and advice then yeah go for it :!: but then again thing don't always go back in the way they came out. ex. on the new tank the coil connections, the cold feed or the wilis heater connections could be in differnent places in the new tank. have you a back boiler( solid fuel ie coal boiler) in the system. you need to be aware of how gravity system work. when i was just an apprentice and changing cylinders i was pulling the hair out of myself wondering "how the @~£$ am i going to sort this mess out :cry: :LOL: " i have changed dozens of cylinders since then and it can take me for 2 hours to 6 hours, depending on difficulties involved. then i had spent another 6 hour trying to get the heating working when the customer announces " oh thats right . the heating never worked properly in this house anyway" then you've just inhertited a whole world of @#$£ :!: amatures don't have blowlamps so with the joy of push fit plumbing fitting ( although they look like @~£$ all) you can easily reconnect pipe work. make sure ur not in a hurry to get it back up and running in a hurry if you decide diy :) may the force be with you :!:

Original OP.....my guess is without at least a modicum of skill/knowledge your going to get into trouble.........read up some more and practice or call in somone who can do the job (mate? family member?)......i am sure i could do brain surgury if the surgeon talked me through it but if anything goes wrong.......... :LOL:

Thank you for all your replies and we took your advice and have arranged for a plumber to fit a new one.

My only question - is there a way of turning off the water supply to the cylinder as it is still seeping?

Please bear in mind I am a complete novice so not too much techy talk.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back