Hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new Intergas compact HRe condensing open boiler fitted March 2011. Fully motorised pump.

All was working OK. Suddenly I found there is no hot water.
Checked expansion tank in loft. Water in there.

Outflow pipes from boiler all hot. Central heating on and seems to be working OK.
Pipes by hot water cylinder all cold.

Suggestions please help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Control fault - is there 230Vac leaving the programmer Hot water ON terminal

Is there 230Vac to & from the cylinder stat do you have a 3 port valve or 2 off 2 port valves?

Is there 230Vac at the Hot water motorised valve? (2 port)

if so is the valve motoring to open? if so is there 230Vac on the Orange wire (you will need to separate from the heating valve orange wire to test)

Obviously you should not attempt to follow the above if you are not competent in electrical engineering as mains voltage can be dangerous!! ;)

Control fault - is there 230Vac leaving the programmer Hot water ON terminal

Is there 230Vac to & from the cylinder stat do you have a 3 port valve or 2 off 2 port valves?

Is there 230Vac at the Hot water motorised valve? (2 port)

if so is the valve motoring to open? if so is there 230Vac on the Orange wire (you will need to separate from the heating valve orange wire to test)

Obviously you should not attempt to follow the above if you are not competent in electrical engineering as mains voltage can be dangerous!! ;)
I am not qualified to run these tests. However, the motorised valve by the hot water cylinder has a small device which is over to the right.
When I turned off the central heating the pipe to the cylinder became very hot.
I have moved the indicator on the valve to the left. I am not sure whether this is open or closed. How do you tell. The motorised valve was installed at the time of the boiler installation. :cry:

Had a new Intergas Compact HRE OV (about 100000BTU) fitted with new motorised valves to a fully pumped system.

The central heating has been OK.
However my wife had a bath and about 2 hours later my daughter wanted a bath. There was no hot water!!

I left it for 2 hours and turned off the central heating.
The pipes by the hot water cylinder instantly became hot.

The motorised valve did not move so I moved the arm to the left. The cylinder is now heating up!!

Can you explain? :cry:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Need more information about your system; but it should still be be under warranty so call your installer back.

Thanks for your interest.
Fully pumped system with motorised valves on boiler and by hot water cylinder.Vented in loft with expansion tank. Checked.

Hot water cylinder has stat.

Cylinder has now become hot after I turned off central heating.? Never before, but have not tested it with both central heating and hot water on together.
Could there be a fault here, Where can I look. Do you think the motorised valve is faulty by the cylinder. (honeywell). It does not seem to move!
Thanks for your help.

Any simple advice please?

How many motorised valves have you got? If the hot water works when hte heating is off, you might have it wired up with some sort of priority (and therefore the wrong way round). Or there cold be a problem with circulation through the system.

Dear Dan,

thanks. I have 2 motorized valves. One by the central heating boiler and one upstairs by the hot water cylinder.

I must say I have assumed all was well since the installation. But I have not tested it like this.Could the valve by the cylinder be the problem? Should it be in the mid position? This is where it was but the cylinder did not get hot after 2 hours with both CH and Hot water being called for. The pump seems ok. When turning off the CH the cylinder got hot within 20 mins.
Thanks,
Slicktor

Are you sure it is a mid-position valve? Pictures would be helpful.

I suspect something has been wired in wrongly and the system is supposed to give hot water priority, but has been wired the the other way round. Very tough to say though without seeing it or being able to test wires.

Are you sure it is a mid-position valve? Pictures would be helpful.

I suspect something has been wired in wrongly and the system is supposed to give hot water priority, but has been wired the the other way round. Very tough to say though without seeing it or being able to test wires.

Thanks Dan.
Not sure.
I thought there might be an easy solution. I will have a chat with my installer as you suggest.

Kind regards,
Sliktor

Did the problem only come to light when you ran the central heating?

What kind of installer does not test the system he has fitted?

Did the problem only come to light when you ran the central heating?

What kind of installer does not test the system he has fitted?

Thanks for your reply.
Yes it only came to light when I ran the hot water and central heating together after the water had been used from the hot water cylinder.
I have to turn off the central heating and just put on the hot warer before the cylinder gets hot after 45 minutes.

I thought that my installer had tested the system. Obviously not.

Incidentally the motorised valves are twin port but I cant see them moving. They must both be stuck on open!!
Thanks,
Sliktor :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back