hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a hot water cylinder. I had to put 28mm x 1" female couplers on the heating coil threads. I put some ptfe on and wound right down to the back nut that is on the wall of the cylinder. but I am getting a very slow drip from each fitting. should I have put more ptfe tape on so as not to be able to reach the back nut. I cant tighten it anymore as they are too close to get a spanner on each nut. appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't see what else you can do unless it's a very very slow drip and you live in a hard water area which may eventually help seal the threads.

It is a pain if you have to drain down again, we've all been there.

Sponsored Links
but do I need to screw the fixing right down to the nut or put enough ptfe on it so it tightens before it reaches the bottom. or is there a better type of thread seal I could use ? . thanks for replying

Good application of PTFE and smear some jointing compound on for good measure. Should tighten before you run out of thread.

The heating coil should be joined to your pipework using proper cylinder union connectors, not female iron couplings.

they are proper cylinder union connectors perhaps I described it wrong, but thanks have cured drip now but another problem. No hot water! flow pipe hot return cold, thinking an air lock but no vent how best to get the air out.

they are proper cylinder union connectors perhaps I described it wrong, but thanks have cured drip now but another problem. No hot water! flow pipe hot return cold, thinking an air lock but no vent how best to get the air out.

I hope I am wrong, but it could be that while doing the other work, you allowed the cylinder fitting to twist, thus causing the internal coil in the cylinder to kink.
A tip to avoid this is to fit the fittings together without any sealing and count the turns until it bottoms out. Then when refitting with sealing tape/compound, count your turns so as not to over do it.

I was very careful not to do that but wouldn't I not get any heat to the rads?

Your rads would still work. It used to be possible to do it in days past. Not sure if it would be feasible nowadays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back