hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a newish hot water cylinder with only one union for an emmersion heater, can i fit a threaded ring to it so i can fit another lower down? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting cutting a hole in the side of the cylinder and attaching a flanged boss to it?

It is not impossible but troublesome and likely to leak.

Why do you want to do it?

I believe you can get immersion heaters with two elements (one short and one long) on one mounting flange.

the cylinder is 5 months old and is 1800 tall the longest heater is 30 inches but i will also when money permits be getting solar heating so will need the coil heater plus electric if that makes sense ?

Unless you have bought a cylinder with an upper and a lower immersion heater boss, you can't do it.

What is the diameter of your cylinder?

Were you thinking of cutting a hole in the cylinder for a second immersion heater?

it only has a top boss and is 300 x 1800 the lower 300 is the coil so i purchased an extra boss to fit just above the coil

So you were thinking of cutting a hole in the cylinder for a second immersion heater?

Its possible if you are clever to cut a hole and braze or even solder a boss.

However if your cylinder is only 300 diameter then the normal 450mm element would have to be bent and that will invalidate the warranty and could make it fail.

The whole idea of an 1800 x 300 seems pretty stupid to me!

Most solar systems have a 300 litre capacity system to store a bit of water.

Tony

unfortunately im not as rich as you and i only have a flat and space is at a premium that is why it is 1800 x300 so it dosent take up too much space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back