Why would i replace Hot water cylinder ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a quote of £2175 to replace my warm air unit with a J&S Hispec J25 with water heater included and sort out vent problems (FLUE)and replace grilles & registers.
At the moment i dont have the water heating , i have an electric emmersion heater.
I am quite happy with this quote but they are asking if I want to replace the hot water tank with a 36x18 direct cylinder for an extra £350
They say they can do the job without this , so why would i pay the extra £350.
Thanks.
Luke

Sponsored Links
If your intention is to get HW added later to the unit then it would be better to fit an INDIRECT cylinder with the flow and return connections capped(just to be safe),

Only reason to change it at present for same is if its showing signs of leakage its not going to save you a vast amount of energy with the new standard of lagging on it

If your intention is to get HW added later to the unit then it would be better to fit an INDIRECT cylinder with the flow and return connections capped(just to be safe),

Only reason to change it at present for same is if its showing signs of leakage its not going to save you a vast amount of energy with the new standard of lagging on it

Its a big company doing it and they say they can fit the new heater with water heating to my old tank or fit a new one.i dont know what type of tank i have ? its electric !! What would you do...spend the £350or not ?

it would be a direct cylinder not an indirect cylinder if you were to install one. :eek:

Sponsored Links
APL he is on about adding a circulator on a warm air unit so it would be indirect cylinder not direct

APL he is on about adding a circulator on a warm air unit so it would be indirect cylinder not direct

I thought, but I might be wrong, that the add on circulator for the J&S warm air units was usually directly connected to a direct cylinder as APL is suggesting?

Tony

Proper way would be indirect otherwise the circulator would soon scale up

namsag,i have worked and changed hundreds off warm air units and cylinders and they have all been direct cylinders. :confused:

We had about a thousand on contract and everyone was indirect and janus 3 . You must live in a really soft water area.
Johnson starley say you can run up to around 15000 btu of rads off them and you would not do that on a direct system.

That is only something the guy looking at it can tell as he can see what condition its in

i do live in a soft water area,the ones i have fitted are janus 6 circulator connected to a direct cylinder i dont understand why you would run radiators when you have the warm air.

Because a lot of warm air units where not properly designed and a lot done just downstairs ,
People like the fast heat up of it and keep it and added rads for upstairs.
You say changed hundreds of cylinders on them why would that be not scale by chance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back