Hot water down to a trickle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new shower fitted in our bathroom as well as a new bath and basin. The shower is a Triton bar mixer type. Everything seemed fine yesterday morning but last night I went to use the hot tap in the kitchen and when you turn the tap on the water comes out fine for a few seconds then reduces down to a trickle. The trickle is hot so I assume the bolier is heating the water correctly, there just doesn't seem to be any pressure. It's the same with the taps in the bathroom. The cold water is fine with plenty of pressure.

Any ideas what the trouble is? I thought it might be the pub as the central heating doesn't seem to work either, ie the radiators even when full on don't heat up.

Sponsored Links
There's a whole bunch of possible causes - you might even have two entirely independent problems there.

However, before you asked your question you should have read this.

Thanks Softus.

I actually left the house this morning without making a note of the boiler or tank type/make. :oops:

To give abit more detail, we've recently moved into a house and have just had a new bathroom suite fitted consisting of a new bath, basin and also a Triton thermo mixer bar shower. On Sat night i turned on the hot tap in the kicthen and the water firstly came out at full pressure but after a few seconds reduced to a trickle. The same thing happened upstairs in the bathroom. I turned of the bolier and back on again and this seemed to solve the problem. However, last night the same thing happened. This time I couldn't fix it. I've bled all the radiators as at first I thought it may be an air lock. That didn't work. Then I tried turning the central heating on and that didn't work. Normally when I turn on the hot tap you can hear the boiler/tank kicking in to refill the hot water tank. This doesn't seem to be happening. Could it be an air lock or something to do with the motor or a value?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a partial blockage in the cold fill pipe btween the cold tank and the hot water cylinder. Is the gate valve opened fully or does it just feel open?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back