Hot water flowing from vent pipe into loft tank

Here is a pic of the pump, hopefully you can see the arrow pointing towards you with the feed and then the vent in the background
20211218_163114.jpg
20211218_163114.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you did not have this venting problem with the old pump, the culprit could be the new pump.

Well with the old pump I had 4 rads that would not get hot and one was permanently cold, (I did take these off a few months ago and blast them through in the garden with a few whacks with a rubber mallet, but no difference); with the new pump, all rads are hot so I'm assuming that's a step forward and it's the power of the new pump + possible constriction that's causing pump over..?

Sponsored Links
OP, check the gate valves. Make sure both are fully open. You can do that with a spanner, counter-clockwise is to open. Open fully, then close a tiny bit.

Just to double check, the gate valves are the two valves either side of the pump? Thanks

they are. After opening, back them off half a turn so they are not tight against the stop. This reduces the risk that they will seize. Judging by the colour of the brass yours are brand new so unlikely to be faulty yet. If water is circulating freely round your radiators there is no reason to suppose they are obstructing flow, and there is no reason to suppose that, even if they were, they would cause pumping over.

Poisson rouge.

Just to confirm gate valves were fully open and had been backed off 1/4 turn, so all good there.
Its pointing to the crud build up in the feed pipe junction isn't it, as advised by Madrab?

Make sure the pump is on the right setting. Look at the manual.
Usually you just keep pressing the mode button cycling through the various modes.

I don't know what the pros here recommend (please do!) But your pump should be on a constant speed setting because it has an ABV. It only needs speed 1 imo as these pumps are strong but you can check that easily by observing performance.

If you add cleaner, set the pump to max speed (fixed). Whilst it horses through the pipes. Have everything open for a hour 1st, then do the opposite, opening one rad at a time only. Set the ABV to max when doing this (return afterwards).

This should give your system a good flush through using the pump.

Quite happy to hear other thoughts on this approach. It worked well for me

As previous poster suggested I'll get some X400 in the system and leave it there for a while until I can organise plumber and if that doesn't sort the problem , I'll get the junction section replaced, and if that doesn't fix perhaps link the feed to the vent, as per earlier discussion. Thanks again all.

Make sure the pump is on the right setting. Look at the manual.
Usually you just keep pressing the mode button cycling through the various modes.

I don't know what the pros here recommend (please do!) But your pump should be on a constant speed setting because it has an ABV. It only needs speed 1 imo as these pumps are strong but you can check that easily by observing performance.

If you add cleaner, set the pump to max speed (fixed). Whilst it horses through the pipes. Have everything open for a hour 1st, then do the opposite, opening one rad at a time only. Set the ABV to max when doing this (return afterwards).

This should give your system a good flush through using the pump.

Quite happy to hear other thoughts on this approach. It worked well for me

Yes I will do this, thanks

Where are the Mods when you need them, come on Mods delete the diyers giving out false information.

Andy

Here - you should have raised an alert :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back