Hot water for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Some advice please...
Situation: I manage a small holiday complex with a swimming pool. Pool has a shower cubicle with an electric shower (usually a Mira or Triton). Problem is visitors constantly break shower controls, leave running, etc. I fit 2 or 3 replacement showers each summer! Mains cold supply only. An immersion tank would not keep up with demand.
So I intend to fit an "out-of-reach" remote in-line water heater (9KW, single phase, preset temperature) with a push button time flow valve (Sirrus?) in the cubicle. Scald protection using a thermostatic mixing valve (TMV3).
Pushing timer valve opens flow, heater starts, hot water to shower head.

Will it work? Anyone installed a similar setup? Effectively, I'm building my own electric shower - with the on/off water control in the cubicle and the heater can out-of-reach. Any advice on type of heater to use? Have I missed anything?

Many thanks,
Don

Sponsored Links
I manage a small holiday complex
Effectively, I'm building my own electric shower
:eek:

Does your public liability insurance indemnify you for a shower that you build yourself and that the public will use? If not, then don't even go there.

Hi Softus,
Thanks for your reply - something I had not considered.

Do you think this is an issue I should be worried about?

Although I made the comment about "building a shower", it was for descriptive purposes. I'm really just plumbing a source of hot water (from an electric heater) to a shower head, operated by a push timer valve and protected by a thermostatic valve governing the temperature.

Is this very different from installing an electric shower "off the shelf"?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Don

Just think about.
you are in the shower, no clothes or other protection, feet in water and a huge cable providing about 100 times the current needed to kill you.
Does it sound safe to diy that?

Sponsored Links
Apart from any safety aspects I'm not aware that any of the instant inline heaters actually recommend use of a thermostatic valve.

I would go for a small unvented unit with a 9Kw heater and a thermostatic shower valve. If flow control valves are used you should be able to ensure that there is sufficient hot water supply. You will need an installer with an unvented ticket to install it though.

nearly forgot Albion mention being able to specify a 9Kw element.

http://www.albionwaterheaters.com/Stainless.html

Hi Softus,
Thanks for your reply - something I had not considered.

Do you think this is an issue I should be worried about?
Well, for one thing it's a legal duty for a business to have such insurance.

Secondly, even if it were merely a business decision, with no moral or legal issue, can you really afford to pay compensation to someone who's injured, or to relatives of someone who's killed, by a fault with a shower of your own construction? It would be a lot of money.

Although I made the comment about "building a shower", it was for descriptive purposes. I'm really just plumbing a source of hot water (from an electric heater) to a shower head, operated by a push timer valve and protected by a thermostatic valve governing the temperature.
I'm not the right person to advise you - this is a matter for you, your conscience, the police, and your professional legal advisor.

Is this very different from installing an electric shower "off the shelf"?
To me, yes. To a court, I don't know. I know that my own insurance covers my business to install showers, and an electrical supply, but since I don't construct or adapt showers in the course of my business I know that it's not covered. Yours might be different.

The best advice I can offer is: if in doubt, don't do it.

Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for your helpful replies.

Just to clarify for bengasman and softus...only one cubicle and the intention is to mount the heater remotely - in fact, the other side of the cubicle wall or in the roof space above. The only "hardware" in the cubicle would be 15mm pipe, the push timer valve and the shower head. No power (in fact safer, as the standard electric shower has mains power in the cubicle)

The water temperature would be pre-set in the heater, so no mixing at point of use. The thermostatic valve is a secondary safety device - recommended for hospitals etc. I was thinking of using this type of thing

http://www.sirrusshowers.com/products_container.php?page=products and click on the Thermostatic Blending valves tab. (Some push timer valves are also on this site).

swbjackson - I was thinking of using a smaller instant unit - more like the heater can you get in an electric shower. Maybe something like this

http://www.bhl.co.uk/category/Instantaneous_Water_Heaters

Thanks for your patience guys, but desperate to avoid £100's each year replacing Triton units with busted knobs and buttons or left running all night.

Will it all come together and work????

Cheers,
Don

Just to clarify for bengasman and softus...only one cubicle and the intention is to mount the heater remotely - in fact, the other side of the cubicle wall or in the roof space above. The only "hardware" in the cubicle would be 15mm pipe, the push timer valve and the shower head. No power (in fact safer, as the standard electric shower has mains power in the cubicle)
It won't make any difference.

newt.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back