Shower water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I manage a small private swimming pool. There is a single shower cubicle fitted with a domestic electric shower unit. Mains water only; no hot water storage capability.
Users are constantly breaking the buttons and damaging the controls.

I would like to fit a remote (out of reach!) instant electric water heater controlled by a simple timed push valve in the cubicle. Heater on/off would need to be demand controlled i.e. switch on when valve opened, off when valve closes. Ideally I would like to fit a blending valve in parallel with the heater as a safety measure.

Can anyone suggest a suitable instant water heater to do the job? Up to 10/11KW and with the capabilty to pre-set the output water temperature.

Alternatively, does anyone know of an electric shower unit for dummies? No controls, buttons, knobs, adjustments - temperature set internally and a simple on/off mechanism?

Thanks,
Don

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestion aj.

There seems to be some confusion whether the Redring heater can be used with a thermostatic valve or a bypass valve. I'm waiting for their tech. folk to get back to me.

D.

Their installation manual suggests that the hot flow is pre-set - so you only need a timed valve. The control mechanism looks simple - a bimetallic on-off thermostat to prevent over heating. You could modulate cold flow but probably not with a thermostatic mixer. With such a simple control, you might get more consistent results with a 3 bar pressure regulator on the mains feed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again aj.

Redring not got back yet, so will be after Easter now. In my last post, I should have said "blending" valve, not bypass valve! Sorry.

Ideally, I would like to use a simple timed valve on the output whilst using a TMV3 (or TMV2) to regulate the temperature - I'm a bit concerned by the "burst of very hot water" referred to in the manual if the unit has been used recently (one user often follows another in quick sucession). I can't risk scalding anyone! A TMV would limit the temperature to a max. of 48C under all flow-rates and input temperatures.

I am hoping Redring will confirm the Powerstream can be used with a TMV.

D.

aj - Redring confirm Powerstream can be used with a TMV, so all systems go.

Will be using a 12Kw Powerstream into a Horne shower panel incorporating an H15 TMV and a push button timed valve.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

D

Hi Don, I am in a similarposition.Please could you give feed back on whether you are happy with the Redring unit (flow rates,temp,etc).Also where did you source the Horne unit,was it good value etc?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I never did install the heater.

When I contacted Redring again for their approval for the final set-up, they withdrew their statement the heater could be used with a TMV and would not approve the solution.
Quote "If the temperature set in the TS1503 valve is LOWER than the temperature of the water leaving their heater, they are concerned the TS1503 valve will restrict the flow of the hot water to achieve the set temperature rather than increase the flow of the cold water. If the flow of the hot water were to be restricted by the valve, the flow would also be restricted in the heater, causing the water to overheat and the thermal cut-out would trip (trips at 50 degrees C)."

There was also concern that if the timed valve shut suddenly, water might "superheat" in the heater and again trip the non-resettable thermostatic protection device.

In the end, there were too many uncertainities and I abandoned the project.
Hope you have better success!
Don

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back