Hot water heating from PV panels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing my immersion tank with some alternative to the gas boiler.
Currently the options are solar vacuum tubes and air source to hot water. Both systems are not cheap and require a fair bit of work to install.
Then I looked at 12v immersion elements and started to think that a couple of panels could supply a 600w/12v element for a lot less cost than the above solutions. This doesn't eliminate the system boiler component, but when I look at my gas use in the summer months, hot water amounts to less than a quid a day. An expensive green alternative doesn't add up for me.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. You've hit the same problem as everyone else- return on investment.
Let's say you have £5000 burning a hole in your pocket. You can buy a 4kw PV array, batteries, installation etc- after between 5 and 8 years on current unit prices and inflation you'll get into profit. As long as nothing breaks. And you still live there.
Or you stick that £5k into your pension. Or a stocks and shares ISA- both these have the large advantage that you haven't lost the capital, so profits will come much earlier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back