Hot water in taps but not in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've got a gas boiler (and hot water tank) - I've been finding in the last few days that the shower temperature is lukewarm (despite turning it to try and make it warmer).

However, the taps around the house are still running hot - so I don't think it's a boiler or hot water issue - possibly to do with the mixer valve?

The shower is below - is the best way to fix this to replace the bar (not sure if I need to replace the whole thing or if I can just replace the horizontal bar?).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

PXL_20230607_132857221.jpg

Sponsored Links
First thing to check are inlet filters. Shut off the water and undo the two nuts securing the valve. There may be strainers which could be blocked.
If you have a shower pump, that could also have inlet filters that could be blocked.
If that's all ok, its likely to be a thermostatic cartridge issue. If you know the make/model, you might be able to find a replacement but usually with this type of shower, its easiest to treat yourself to a new one. Given that it has the vertical riser, presumably going to a rain head, you will probably have to replace the whole thing.

Doesn't look like a rain head as you can see the end where it's sat in the holder.
With rain heads, the supply usually just juts out of the wall/ceiling.

Try running the shower without the head and or hose

Sponsored Links
First thing to check are inlet filters. Shut off the water and undo the two nuts securing the valve. There may be strainers which could be blocked.
If you have a shower pump, that could also have inlet filters that could be blocked.
If that's all ok, its likely to be a thermostatic cartridge issue. If you know the make/model, you might be able to find a replacement but usually with this type of shower, its easiest to treat yourself to a new one. Given that it has the vertical riser, presumably going to a rain head, you will probably have to replace the whole thing.
Thanks that's helpful.

Yes it has a vertical riser going into a rain head.

I will check the inlet filters and as we have got a shower pump will set if it has inlet filters that are blocked.

As you say I'm expecting it might end up being a full replacement - let's see.

Thank you!!

Doesn't look like a rain head as you can see the end where it's sat in the holder.
With rain heads, the supply usually just juts out of the wall/ceiling.
Thanks - yes with our one it is coming up off the vertical rather than out of the wall/ceiling. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back