Hot water not calling for heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered that my water wasn't heating when I took a shower and froze.
Not a huge problem a.t.m. as I can use the immersion. Boiler fires up fine when CH prog selected.
I thought it would be a zone valve, confirmed in FAQ, but I've got 2 (Honeywell V4043H1056) - 1 close to the h/w cylinder and one further away.
I switched them both to the manual position & still h/w not calling for heat.
When I turn the CH on, the valve furthest from the cylinder moves its switch but the one near the cylinder doesn't do anything. Is this one f***ed?
If so, do I just remove the single screw in the galvanised cover to access the workings?
Thanks,
Sad :confused:

Sponsored Links
sadgrandad said:
I switched them both to the manual position & still h/w not calling for heat.
You can't make those MZVs call for heat using the manual lever - it just opens the valve but not far enough to close the microswitch.

When I turn the CH on, the valve furthest from the cylinder moves its switch but the one near the cylinder doesn't do anything. Is this one f***ed?
Not necessarily. It will move only if you select DHW at the programmer AND the cylinder stat contacts are closed. There are also other reasons/faults than match the symptoms you describe.

If so, do I just remove the single screw in the galvanised cover to access the workings?
I wouldn't go there just yet. First, determine whether or not power is reaching the cylinder stat and, if so, whether it's switching through to the MZV.

You should have 2 lives into the zone valve. Grey and brown. Brown is what makes motor turn, grey is permanent live to microswitch, which when activated sends live back down orange to tell boiler and pump to fire. Could be just synchron motor gone or change entire head. Could possibly be the cyl stat faulty. You need to test all with multimeter if you are comfortablw with live 240V electrics.

As a stop gap set hw valve to manual on with lever and turn ch on. this will /should heat hot water but without any temp control over it so don't let children run hot tap until you have checked it!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave and Softus, :)

The programmer is calling the cylinder stat and the cylinder stat is giving power to the brown ZV live - nothing happens. When I operate the ZV micro-switch manually pump comes on and boiler fires up.

Is this likely to the motorised bit or the whole head that needs replacement?

Thanks again,

Rod

Motor. You can replace just that component if you're careful and averagely competent.

Softus said:
Motor. You can replace just that component if you're careful and averagely competent.

:LOL: I must be careful and averagely competent, then. :LOL:

All up and running. Thanks again for input - I'll be back! (Next time I have a problem)

Rod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back