Hot water not hitting top temperatures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope I am posting in the correct forum for this. I work on a large commercial site in London a dn we have 2 stored water calorifiers that feed some areas of the building. They are heated via a primary loop from a CHP with boiler back ups. The primary is reading 78 Degrees on the flow and 69 on the return. At 10.30pm we have a pasteurisation program that should raise the temperature to 70 until 12.00am but we never can get the hot water higher than 61 on one and 58 on the other. Anyone got any ideas? Please see pics. I was wondering if it could be a balancing issue ‍♂️ the 3 port valve is at 100% all day and I'm at a bit of a loss. Also we had it opened and inspected in August and they said they were clear.
1000033440.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It could be tmv's installed have a non return valve stuck open, causing cold mains water to push through into the hot supply back to the calorifiers. Won't be noticeable during the day with everything being used. Only when demand stops.
Had similar in a pathology lab where storage tank would over flow in the evenings when the lab was shut.
Check all the tmv's for signs of condensation on the body.

It could be tmv's installed have a non return valve stuck open, causing cold mains water to push through into the hot supply back to the calorifiers. Won't be noticeable during the day with everything being used. Only when demand stops.
Had similar in a pathology lab where storage tank would over flow in the evenings when the lab was shut.
Check all the tmv's for signs of condensation on the body.
Will look into the possibility. We have 3 blocks of showers on the system so wonder if it could be those. 5 showers in one block and 3 in each of the others. It's on boosted cold water so if that's at a higher pressure it could be feeding back I guess. Might need to fit some check valves. Didn't think of that. Nice one thanks.

Sponsored Links
All of the showers will have nrv's built in. If they are bar showers it's easy to find which are passing. Run the shower on fully hot, feel the left inlet pipe (usually hot feed) it will get hot. Turn shower off. If the nrv is faulty it will go cold pretty quick. Repeat with all of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back