New Boiler - Poor Heating - No Hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all. Help required!

I've just had an Intergas OV30 Boiler installed by STL Heating. We have 13 rads in the house with 7 TRVs fitted. We cannot put the heating on or control the house temperature at all as the system was not balanced. We now have no Hot water so had to get a Corgi Registered Gas Engineer out. These were his observations of a poor installation, and he has asked for circa £850 to fix it;

1/ Insecure Flue. It needs to be screwed not a push Fit.
2/ Not enough TRV's added. 3 more need adding and 1 removed from the Hallway where the Thermostat is.
3/ Outflow temp is 76 deg, Inflow Temp is 70 Deg. This was signed off by the STL Heating Engineer. Return feed needs to be sub 55 Deg so the Condensing Boiler can actually condense.
4/ Addition of final TRV's will allow the system to balance. Balancing of the system was never done and could not be without the additional TRV's being added.
5/ 3 way valve Broken. (Not picked up on the installation). Replace valve and controller
6/ Re-add Central heating inhibitor.

Can anybody give me an honest answer to get this lot sorted please?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I hope he was also Gas Safe Registered. CORGI ceased to be the registration body for gas engineers nine years ago...

A 30 OV is massively oversized for your house and will cost you a lot more to run. The smallest model, the 18 OV, would likely have been sufficient.

Why didn't you get the original installers back if you had concerns?

To answer your points...

1) Wrong. The manufacturers do not permit this flue to be screwed - it should be push fit only

2) Yes every rad should have a TRV

3) Correct. A symptom of the boiler being too big for the property I'm afraid. The only solution to that is to make them come back and replace it with a more appropriately sized one

4) B*llocks... you don't need TRVs to balance a system. In fact, balancing should be carried out with TRV heads removed

5) A conscientious installer would include the replacement of this in their estimate, but if he didn't then that's unfortunate. Should have been picked up on system testing though

6) Always a good idea if draining down

Second company knows how to charge. About all they do know. Great boiler, cowboy installer. Shame you didn't get a trusted local installer from Intergas to size boiler and install properly.

Sponsored Links
Did you not get any type of guarantee/warrenty from the installers, TRV's are a good idea but are not mandatory since some muppets in our government removed the requirement from Part L of the building regs in 2006.

Second company knows how to charge. About all they do know. Great boiler, cowboy installer. Shame you didn't get a trusted local installer from Intergas to size boiler and install properly.
STL are Intergas installers, they come and quoted for me last month but come back some silly amount so I told them I wasn't interested, been pestering me via text ever since, seems like a lucky escape for me.

The flue can be screwed or not Intergas don't mind

If the flow and return temps are that close and most of the system is cold it's not an indication of an oversized boiler. It shows that the water is 'short circuiting' somewhere and returning to the boiler rather than circulating round the system. You need to see if any rad is getting hot and turn that down or check that any system bypass isn't wide open.

Yes the boiler is well oversized but it will fire then drop to low output and only ramp up to suit the system. Oversizing will only cause an issue when the system is up to temp

Some pictures would help

The flue can be screwed or not Intergas don't mind

If the flow and return temps are that close and most of the system is cold it's not an indication of an oversized boiler. It shows that the water is 'short circuiting' somewhere and returning to the boiler rather than circulating round the system. You need to see if any rad is getting hot and turn that down or check that any system bypass isn't wide open.

Yes the boiler is well oversized but it will fire then drop to low output and only ramp up to suit the system. Oversizing will only cause an issue when the system is up to temp

Some pictures would help
I stand corrected :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back