Hot Water not Hot enough!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a system boiler (glow worm)

The water is set to come on an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

the boiler definately fires up, and both pipes get hot (very hot) from the boiler end, right up to the cylinder.

The cylinder thermostat seems ok as initially i turned this up from 60 to 70 and the digital read out on the boiler did the same.

But unfortunately we are not getting hot enough water you can barely shower on it, unless we use the immersion.

Is there any suggestions or advise that could improve this problem,

thank you in advance...

Sponsored Links
Are you in a hard water area?

How old is the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response

Pretty sure we're not in a hard water area, and the cylinder is not too old, looks farely new anyway...

Any thoughts?

Is it a vented system?

If so, where are the vents and vent pipes?

Is there enough water in the F&E cistern?

Is it pumped?

Is there a motorised valve?

Is there a bypass?

Is it a vented system? yes

If so, where are the vents and vent pipes? in the loft

Is there enough water in the F&E cistern? not sure?

Is it pumped? pump inside boiler.

Is there a motorised valve? yes. seems to be fine

Is there a bypass? not sure what yo mean?

thanks again for your input...

Laburnum said:
If so, where are the vents and vent pipes? in the loft
And are there any vents near the cylinder?

Is there enough water in the F&E cistern? not sure?
It would be a good idea to check.

Is there a motorised valve? yes. seems to be fine
Erm, what gives you the impression that it's fine? :confused:

Is there a bypass? not sure what yo mean?
A bypass is required for some boilers on some systems. It's often evident in the airing cupboard, as a smallbore pipe between flow and return, before the motorised valve(s).

The moterised valves are located down stairs close to the bolier, I pretty sure they are working ok as when I selct hw only only the hot valve works and likewise with ch.

there is a vent near the cylinder, vertical from the flow( i think) just b4 it goes into the cylinder, what will venting this do ?

Laburnum said:
The moterised valves are located down stairs close to the bolier, I pretty sure they are working ok as when I selct hw only only the hot valve works and likewise with ch.
OK. Let's assume for the moment that they're working properly.

there is a vent near the cylinder, vertical from the flow( i think) just b4 it goes into the cylinder, what will venting this do ?
If there is air in the pipe, then opening the vent will allow the air to be vented. After that, or if there is no air, then water will come out, unless it's an auto vent, in which case no water will come out, merely air, unless there's no air, in which case nothing will come out, but if the vent is blocked then nothing will come out, even if it's a manual vent.

Laburnum said:
Thanks for your response

Pretty sure we're not in a hard water area, and the cylinder is not too old, looks farely new anyway...

Any thoughts?

If you tell us where you live then we can decide if its a hard water area.

What colour is the cylinder foam insulation?

I dont suppose you have a leaking hot water supply anywhere do you? Like under the floor?

If the flow and return to the cylinder are both hot then is one a little hotter than the other?

How long are you allowing for the water to heat up? I would always time HW for two hours as many cylinders need that time particularly if there is HW usage during that time.

Tony

Well yes I do actually! And food as well !

Are you offering me a free holiday in Thailand then?

Whats that to do with old boilers?

I have found a nice Thai restaurant where we can bring our own wine in W10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back