Hot Water not working if controls left on 24/7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a potterton suprima 30 boiler and a potterton EP2002 control unit.

If the hot water and heating controls are at the "on" position so that they are running 24 hours a day then the hot water does not heat up once it has been used up.

It appears that there is a fault where a component in the system is not being triggered when the hot water temperature in the cylinder drops below the threshold set by the thermostat.

If I have the controls set to "timer" or "once" then everything appears to work correctly. I.e. when not running 24 hours a day, the system gets the opportunity to reset itself somehow.

So any ideas where the fault could be?

Thanks in advance

Danny

Sponsored Links
If the hot water and heating controls are at the "on" position so that they are running 24 hours a day then the hot water does not heat up once it has been used up.

If I have the controls set to "timer" or "once" then everything appears to work correctly. I.e. when not running 24 hours a day, the system gets the opportunity to reset itself somehow.
Could be a faulty programmer.

When set to continuous, the input of most programmers is connected directly to the output. So the L terminal will link, via the programmer to 3 (HW ON) and 4 (CH on). You can check if the programmer is faulty by removing it from the back plate and making a temporary link, on the backplate, between L and terminal 3. Turn Electricity off while making the link. If the hot water then works OK, is proves that the programmer is faulty as it is not linking L to 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back