Hot water not working on Ideal Isar M30100 - Diverter Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need a bit of advice here, i've been having issues with this boiler recently, and now after a plumber fixed a water leak on the boiler I am left with no hot water

To cut a long story short, today a plumber/engineer came to fix a water leak which turned out to be the 'o rings' of the heat exchanger. Once he fixed it and put it all back together the hot water did not work anymore (heating is fine).

When running the hot water the status does not change to 'd' and the water would not get hot. He said that it was likely the diverter valve being faulty, but then warned that with the age of the boiler other things could go wrong and it may not be worth spending more money on it and he would advise to get a new boiler.

As it was on a Sunday, he was keen to get off home, and left us to decide what to do. he wasn't enamoured with this problematic boiler!

Then, 10-15 minutes after he left, I tried out the water and it started coming hot and worked for another 15 minutes. 'd' came up on the display as expected and the water was fully hot. However, after 10 minutes it stopped working again and now it has not come back on since.

Is this likely to be caused by the divertor valve and/or the divertor valve head? Or something else? Any tips to pass on about how to diagnose for sure?

I'm relunctant to throw good money after bad - however if I can avoid spending lots on a new boiler it would be a great help.

[Edit: Removed unnecessary story, keeping to the matter at hand]

Sponsored Links
I would rediagnose the diverter fault, not many firms will cover your crap boiler, BG should do if they dont buy a new one, 7 years is well past its life expectancy, British engineering at its finest :rolleyes:

Maintenance contract on these. Or new boiler.

I don't even offer to start repairs on them unless it is something
simple.

Otherwise the customer end up wasting a lot of money and still
end up having to replace the boiler.

I would rediagnose the diverter fault, not many firms will cover your crap boiler, BG should do if they dont buy a new one, 7 years is well past its life expectancy, British engineering at its finest :rolleyes:

Yes, i thought that might be the case. I'm going to try and get a second opinion if I can, but also some quotes for new ones.

Sponsored Links
Maintenance contract on these. Or new boiler.

I don't even offer to start repairs on them unless it is something
simple.

Otherwise the customer end up wasting a lot of money and still
end up having to replace the boiler.

I wish now the engineer i used had refused to work on it a few months ago! Or that i'd taken up a contract the minute I got in the door of the house! We live and learn!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back