Hot water not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved to a new house with a HoneyWell C21 installed however the HW has never worked please see attached pictures can anyone please advise?

Attachments

• Wire D.jpg
    Wire D.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Wired Unit.jpg
    Wired Unit.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
That’s a singe channel timer/programmer and for heating only. Can you elaborate more on what setup you have? If unsure post a photo of the boiler and or cylinder cupboard

Please see below for boiler i also have cylinder, for hot water in the airing cupboard, and two water tanks in the roof space one large the other small black plastic one on top

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 29
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 26
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sounds like a traditional open vented system. You are likely to have either a single motorised valve (y plan) or two motorised valves (s plan). As you only have a control for the heating, you should have another for the hot water, unless it’s just the immersion heater(s)?

Sponsored Links
Sorry i am a complete novice at this can you advise if it could be upgraded to allow the HW function and if so how easy/difficult it would be.

Thank you

Yes, it can be upgraded, but you either need to run new cabling or put it in the cylinder cupboard. You may have a hot water control somewhere?

run new cabling to were on the boiler?
No from your motorised valve to the existing Honeywell, or like I said place the new control in the cylinder cupboard and run new cabling there.

new control in the cylinder cupboard and run new cabling there, can you explain this concept or share a few picture's or diagrams please

Ok, you say there’s no control for hot water, so you need to either obtain new and fit in the cylinder cupboard, or get a dual control (heating and hot water), decommission the existing and renew the wiring. Sounds like you might not be grasping it, maybe get someone in for this?

I suspect that there may not even be any motorised valves fitted, meaning that there is no separation of the heating and hot water. This would mean that they are both 'on' or 'off' together. Hence why only the heating channel of the C21 programmer has been used and terminal 3 which would control the hot water is empty. This type of set up is pretty rare these days as motorised valve have been installed on systems for over 40 years now.

If my assumption is correct, then there could be a fair bit of plumbing and complete new wiring required to separate the hot water system. If I'm wrong the clue would be the presence of a motorised valve or two. I don't see any in your photos, but often they are found on pipework adjacent to the hot water cylinder which you don't show. If you're not sure what to look for, do an internet search for '2 port motorised valve' or '3 port motorised valve'

However, I would be with @CBW on this, and suggest you get someone suitably skilled in to survey it. You say that it's a "new house" by which I guess you mean it's new to you. If so, did the survey not make any comment about the heating system?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back