Hot water on only but it also turns on 2 x rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Central heating in this new house seems to work fine. However, with the hot water only set to come on twice a day (and CH totally off) two of the rads also kick in at the same time. Both rads are on the same route from the boiler to the HW tank and both going to bathrooms, the ensuite and the family bathroom.

I haven't tried to see what happens if I turn the HW off and just have the CH on whether the rads still come on. Will give it a go tomorrow.

Now I can't for the life of me believe this has been plumbed in like this accident and can only assume that whoever did this did so to maybe keep the bathrooms heated and dry towels. Does this even sound feasible? Has anybody seen or heard of such a set-up before or is it totally unique?

Sponsored Links
Yep, very common. Turn the rads off in the bathrooms if you don't want them to heat up in the summer

Think yourself lucky , won't get this with a standard combi set up.

Sponsored Links
Its done intentionally by some plumbers who seem to have limited understanding of heating systems.

What actually happens is the rads operate when the hot water cylinder is being heated.

But they turn OFF when the cylinder is hot!

So no heat and then they are off. So you start your bath with a cold room! When you have used a bit of water the cylinder needs to reheat so the rads come on again!

With a bath it works as explained above. With a shower its all over too quickly!

Tony

Its done intentionally by some plumbers who seem to have limited understanding of heating systems.

What actually happens is the rads operate when the hot water cylinder is being heated.

But they turn OFF when the cylinder is hot!

So no heat and then they are off. So you start your bath with a cold room! When you have used a bit of water the cylinder needs to reheat so the rads come on again!

Not sure what sort of properties you visit but complete nonsense , 99.9% of all installations whereby towel rails are heated when hot water/heating is called for are pipped before motor valves , in all my years in the buisiness i've never come across what you are suggesting , you are obviously mistaken , why the constant 'put down' of fellow installers , are you a newbie to the trade who doesn't understand simple system layout.

Has been the 'norm' for years to allow bathroom radiators/towel rails to be heated come summer/winter , a practice still maintained by decent installers.

Well , i don't know what drivel Agile feeds his customers. :confused:

Someone who hasn't a clue regards designing plumbing & heating systems i feel sorry for whoever has the misfortune to hire his services. :eek: are we all numptys apart from Agile?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back