Hot water only when heating is on - Vokera Excell SP80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Excell SP80 combi boiler. There is no hotwater unless we turn heating on too. The water gets very slightly warm. The boiler appears to make all the right noise.

What could be the problem? Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Very common fault that the diverter valve is failed.

A search on this forum would find over 100 similar postings!

Tony Glazier

Perhaps I could be a bit more helpful. First thing to get checked is the domestic hot water diaphragm. If you are not confident then a good repairman should be able to repair your boiler.

Sponsored Links
New diaphragm and a service.

I would attend to the problem you are having at service intervals. Since that would be preventative maintanance, you would now not be having HW issues

I replace the diaphragm at the third year when engaged to service a boiler anually.

If I did it on every service, I would lose a possible repair opportunity.

The diaphragm usually lasts about 5-7 years on most boilers.

As a result of a design fault those on the Excell they last a lot less than most boilers. I have not heard a convincing explanation of exactly why they have such a short life but they seem to get overheated.

Tony

If there is a long dead leg of existing hot drawoff pipe back to old cylinder position it takes of few more seconds for pressure to build up to shut the divertor valve down causing it to overheat slightly and toast the diaphragm

The diaphragm usually lasts about 5-7 years on most boilers.

As a result of a design fault those on the Excell they last a lot less than most boilers. I have not heard a convincing explanation of exactly why they have such a short life but they seem to get overheated.

Tony

It's not a design fault. From their introduction these diaphragms were considered a consumable, hence why they were so cheap at the time and easy to change. As usual though, instructions just show a combustion service, however most will know this is inadequate on an old mechanical combi.

Thank you all for the advise. I will follow up on those and let you know how it goes. Once again, thank you all for your help.

Gasinayr4, while what you say will have adverse effect on diaphragm, main reason for failure on excel is due to design issue. PM for explanation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back