Hot water problem combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house which has a 15 year old combi boiler Worcester 28CDi

It has a problem with the hot water. When the hot water is on it is hot and then goes lukewarm and then hot again in a cycle every few seconds. On the boiler I can see that this coincides with the ignition light being on and then off which means the water is being warmed for a few secs and then it stops before starting warming again. I have reduced the water temperature to the minimum on the boiler which sometimes allows it to run for longer continuously without it getting cold but this isn't warm enough for my liking.

What could the problem be? With a boiler in another house the issue was a problem with the secondary heat exchanger which needed replacing as it was clogged by dirty water in the heating system.

I have already taken off most of the radiators which had a lot of dark water so could this be the issue?

It is an old boiler but due to budget is would rather avoid replacing it just yet but I'm also conscious that it may be better to do this than to repair the issue.

It cost £180 for replacing the heat exchanger last time on a differ boiler and this is better than the 2k to supply and fit a new one.

I am not an expert on heating matters so the above is based on prior experiences but if it is a different problem please advise.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though you are along the right lines.
But it would need testing before just replacing. I would usually just clean the heat exchanger on site if that was the fault.
Ring your boiler man it's certainly repairable

As Phil said. If you want to go a bit further, flush the system and fit a filter on the heating return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back