Hot water problem, please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter and partner just moved into their house and seem to have a crazy problem with their hot water system.

The boiler is providing hot water but, water takes AGES to actually arrive at the tap after the tap's turned on. I'm not talking about the hot water taking ages to arrive, I'm talking about the tap being dry for 10 to 15 mins before any water shows up! When it does, it splutters and spits. It looks like there's a ton of air in the hot water pipes but after a week of using it, it's not reducing at all. This happens in every hot water tap in the house.

The plumber said that he has no idea what's causing it so we are obviously completely lost.

Can anyone please suggest a cause and what we may be able to try?

Sponsored Links
What is the hot water arrangement? Boiler & cylinder? Tank in the loft?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Boiler in the kitchen, HW tank / cylinder in the airing cupboard

Cold water cistern in the loft or just above the cylinder in the airing cupboard?
The plumber said that he has no idea what's causing it so we are obviously completely lost.

Get another plumber, there is obviously an issue and if he can't find it, in what is a pretty straight forward system, then you need someone else to look at it.

Sponsored Links
I think the cold water is in the loft - its one of those super-narrow loft openings that are nearly impossible to get through..

Listen to the advice. It's a relatively simple system that even I could diagnose and I'm not a plumber, although not over the internet. If the, so called, plumber that you have consulted cannot diagnose the problem then find someone who can.

I think the cold water is in the loft - its one of those super-narrow loft openings that are nearly impossible to get through..

You need a better (proper) plumber!

Get up in the loft and have a look in that tank, make sure it has water in it, and quickly opens the float valve to refill, when hot water is drawn from a tap.

Thanks guys. Beginning to think that the plumber doesn't want to do the job..

Thanks guys. Beginning to think that the plumber doesn't want to do the job..
More probable that your plumber doesn't know how to troubleshoot an open vent Hot and Cold water gravity system. Is he a young chap who may not have the experience?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
No, he's an experienced plumber - just called him and he's coming around to take a look at it again. He said there may not be enough height difference between the cold water tank and the hot water tank. I'm a bit lost to be honest..

No, he's an experienced plumber - just called him and he's coming around to take a look at it again. He said there may not be enough height difference between the cold water tank and the hot water tank. I'm a bit lost to be honest..
As they've just moved in I don't suppose they know whether it's a new problem or been doing it for a while, but that would be good to know.

Only moved in a few days ago - previous owners moved to Spain to retire..

If the loft tank is filling up ok, it could be forming an airlock, due to pipe from hw cylinder going up into loft, then back down to serve pipes.

Beginning to think that the plumber doesn't want to do the job..
Or fit through the loft hatch? :unsure:

As per others, get a different plumber, could be the cistern is being fed properly, could be an issue with the gate valve, all basic stuff if he’s experienced. Does this happen at every hot water tap or just one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back