Hot Water problem with Honeywell Smartfit 'S' system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted on this forum a while ago asking for advice on a noisy central heating system. Last Friday a plumber came round to do some remedial work to the pipework in the airing cupboard: namely getting rid of all the Tees (replacing with gently curved pipe), relocating the pump to the vertical section of cold feed, and fitting an auto-bleed. Turns out I had over-dosed with inhibitor as well (I was given a demo of some fizzing away after being drained off into a bottle and shaken!).

However, I now have a new problem. When the system was restarted, the Smartfit Programmer/room stat displayed an "F8" error - which according to the documentation is a short circuit of the HW cylinder sensor. I notified the chap, so we shut it down and powered-up again. The error disappeared, and the HW program seemed to be working.

On Sunday morning, I woke up to find very cool water coming out of the hot taps. I used the second enquiry level on the Programmer to establish the measured HW temp, and it read 49 deg. I forced an over-ride, and all hell broke loose upstairs: masses of loud glugging noises coming from the pipework. I let this carry on for a bit, and it calmed down after a while. I initially put this down to air still in the system after it was drained for the plumbing work.

With the HW on for a good while, I checked the taps and the water was scalding. I checked the Programmer, but it still said the HW temp was 49 deg (I have it set to 56). I tried another shut-down and restart, and the F8 error returned, then disappeared.

I called the senior chap who oversaw his apprentice do the recent work, and he came out yesterday. He once again cursed the Smartfit system (not for 'proper' plumbers etc.), but when the motorized valve opened and the boiler fired upon running a HW over-ride, he concluded that I had wasted his time. I mentioned the error message, but he was not interested - saying that all I could do is replace the sensor. :eek:

Since then I have been manually running the HW, but the Programmer seems stuck at reading 49 deg.

Today I fitted a replacement cylinder sensor. No F8 error, but still a HW reading of 49 deg. Cranking the HW setting up does get it running - still making a hell of a racket - but with the Programmer adamant that the water is at a constant temp I have effectively lost control.

The Heating side of things is perfectly okay, but I am at a loss to resolve the HW issue. I know that the plumber opened up the junction box in order to wire in a longer flex for the pump (potential circuit damage?).

There does not seem to be any way to hard-reset the Programmer itself - it has an internal battery back-up of some sort. I have tried resetting everything to the default parameters but this did nothing.

Please can someone suggest a new course of action, as I am stumped and the plumber involved does not want to help.

Thanks,
James.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back