Hot water problem - Worcester 24i combi bolier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem regarding getting hot water from my boiler. When I run one of the hot taps, eventually, after about a minute I finally get hot water. If I then turn that tap off and either turn one of the other hot water taps on or indeed the same tap, initially I get hot water. This however goes cold and then eventually goes hot again.

My problem is that I am wasting so much water by doing this.

Is there a problem or is the boiler supposed to behave like this?

Sponsored Links
WHich 24i - they made several, some with "junior" in there.
It's usually scale in the boiler . Can be cleaned.

This is normal operation for a combi boiler of that age! There is no preheat on it!
If you turn a tap on time how long the burner takes to light- 8 secs is about normal. You can fill a bowl of water in this time!

The boiler is checking itself before firing!
Once you get hot water to the tap turn it off! The water stopped behind the tap has been heated all the way back to the boiler. So when you next turn the tap on you get hot cold hot! The cold is the water coming through before the boiler fires!
Use 2 bowls of water, use the first to wash the car or water plants etc, or get a new condensing boiler with a pre heat function

Sponsored Links
doesn t make any difference whether its a junior or rsf, same sequence for hot water!

my post applies to both!

no prob with boiler ! i guess you have had cylinders in your previous houses where dhw comes at about 65 degrees!?

combis work differently!

All previous houses have had a header tank so never came across issues like this.

I thought combi's were meant to be more economic?

Any way of dealing with this other than changing boiler type?

No.

Some Combination boilers have a pre-heat now. (A bit like the 20 year old Vailliants).

As bd has said, your does not unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back