hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, the problem i am having is:

the hot water barely flows, just a trickle but its hot!
i have an immersion heater in a cupboard, a header tank in the attic.

both the bathroom and the kitchen hot trickles, cold is fine.

i connected the cold to the hot in the kitchen and forced the water back up to the tank no problem, the overflow in the attic was flowing well.

what else could i try?

Sponsored Links
Try blocking the vent pipe in the loft.
The restriction could be in the top of the tank outlet or the horizontal pipe from the tank. so water will take the quickest route out the vent pipe.

Also check the cold feed in the loft tank isn't restricted, restricting flow to the cylinder.

Loft lagging or cylinder foam is common for blocking cylinder pipework.

have you had any work done recently on the hot water side of things? could be a sheared off gate valve. need more info

have you had any work done recently on the hot water side of things? could be a sheared off gate valve. need more info

not had any work done, put up with the problem for about 3 years now!!!
need to get it sorted though.

if i block the vent pipe in the loft, where will the water go then?

Sponsored Links
Force water back up hot and look ( or get someone else to look ) to see if its entering tank from vent or outlet at bottom of tank.

What happened three years ago? Could the gate valve have been sheared off then ???

Tony

Try blocking the vent pipe in the loft.
The restriction could be in the top of the tank outlet or the horizontal pipe from the tank. so water will take the quickest route out the vent pipe.

Also check the cold feed in the loft tank isn't restricted, restricting flow to the cylinder.

Loft lagging or cylinder foam is common for blocking cylinder pipework.

I'm sure you mean temporarily seco? Just to clarify that to the diy-er

Hi

My monies on a buildup of limescale round the neck of the cylinder outlet.

Remove the pipe from top of cylinder and clean the outlet out.
Have you tried blasting it with mains pressure yet ?

Take it easy with the 'blasting'. You could burst the cylinder.

Check the water content to the big tank in the loft, it could be a sticking ballvalve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back