Hot water problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have lived in my house since September and have an old boiler system! The problem is I am only getting enough hot water for 1 bath just! the cylinder says 117 L capacity so i'm sure that should be more than barely 1 bath?

Also I can't see anywhere to turn up the cylinder or infact any hot water? there is a digital Seimens RWB29 in the hall for turning on the hot water and heating but there is no thermostat there and there is no thermostat on the cylinder either? The hot water is very hot but I would still like to know if there is a way to turn it up or down?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Carl.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your system is getting on in years, it wont give the performance of a modern system unfortunately. Make/model of boiler may help, but I suspect you have a gravity HW/pumped CH system, CH not available independantly of HW? In which case possibly the only control you have would be the boiler thermostat, turning that down will cool the HW temp, but may also affect the ability of the CH to get the house to a comfortable temperature.

I would expect the cylinder to provide enough HW for one bath, but it may easily take a while for the cylinder to reheat with a gravity system that is also quite possibly scaled or sludged up. If you are struggling to get enough hot water to fill a bath then it also begs the question if the cylinder also has a quantity of scale/crud in the bottom, thus preventing full capacity being achieved.

Going to need to bite the bullet and spend some money on it, but how much will depend on what can be salvaged from the existing system, but bear in mind the current setup and/or boiler will be very inefficient!

Although 117 li not all of it will be heated. You can run your hands over it to see how much is hot.

You may be expecting too much!

How deep do you expect to fill your bath?

Tony

What did your survey say about the heating/boiler, this could of being a bargaining tool to get a cheaper purchase price.

Seams like time to upgrade.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Lower purchase price?

He bought it last September so its a bit late to question what he paid!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back