Hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a potterton performs 24i he. When I run hot water it starts hot then goes cold and doesn't heat anymore water. However I've found if I switch it off then on it heats water up but goes back to the same problem off running out of hot then to cold. This has only happens since I came home from work today was all fine this morning. Anyone able to help on this matter

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When last serviced?

Does it really stay cold for ever ( like 22 minutes )?

Was serviced last year. It's still cold after about 25 mins does and boiler normally comes on and off every so often even after hot tap been running

Sounds as if it has a fault.

What are you going to do next?

The usual thing would be to call a competent boiler engineer!

That model is totally repairable.

When providing hot water the burner should stay lit all the time.

Sounds as if the hot water heat exchanger has been somewhat blocked. But the current fault seems to be something else.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Larner, on the control panel, there are a few lights
When you run hot water, does the light with tap symbol illuminate?, what about the flame symbol. Any lights that indicate temperature, do they light up?

Feel the two fat pipes when hot tap running- does the left one heat up?

Dp

No neither the tap or flame lights come on. The tempeture lights are lit up and the pipe is cold. As I say if I turn off the boiler it heats up but then nothing

If the HW demand light is not illuminating then there is a problem with the demand switch.

But I would have expected that it does come on for a short while at first because it does heat the water up initially. Is that the case?

Most of those faults I repair in my local area for between £106 and £126 depending on the exact cause.

Tony

Yeah that's the case normally it would be running whilst the hot water is in use ie filling a sink or shower/bath running but nothing after the initial start

Yes, but with the fault does the HW light come on for a short while as soon as the hot tap is turned on?

Tony

If that is the case then its very odd that the boiler is initially heating up when the HW is first turned on.

Tony

Dp

No neither the tap or flame lights come on. The tempeture lights are lit up and the pipe is cold. As I say if I turn off the boiler it heats up but then nothing

If the tap light does not come on, then I would be looking to see why it is not when you are running a hot tap. Obviously boiler is not seeing the demand for hot water

There is nothing odd that boiler heats the water after you switch off and then on!

Agile its an instant so the reason why he has hot water initially is its using the stored water reason why its not staying on is the diaphragm has gone and not activating the micro switch during demand
Hey 112 , I notice Agile has not thanked you yet??;)

Most of those faults I repair in my local area for between £106 and £126 depending on the exact cause.
Tony what does the extra £20 involve ? does it depend how far away it is on the bus ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back