Hot water problem

Strange all right as its hardly a combi at 15kw!!, It depends on where the cylinder stat is located, its normally say 6" or so above the coil outlet to allow ~ 20L of HW use before the stat cuts in again, do you have a secondary circulating pump?.

Any water flowing into the tundish from the PRVs?.

These questions are relevant, if there is a constant heat loss from the cylinder for some reason, the Boiler will fire up more often. Would help us help you if you can answer them please.

Sponsored Links
What make/model of boiler is it? Does the boiler fire up when HW is used and the programmer isn't scheduled to call for HW?

These questions are relevant, if there is a constant heat loss from the cylinder for some reason, the Boiler will fire up more often. Would help us help you if you can answer them please.
Sorry but I don't understand the questions. Surely the boiler shouldn't fire up at all if it isn't programmed to do so? That's the whole point.

What make/model of boiler is it? Does the boiler fire up when HW is used and the programmer isn't scheduled to call for HW?
It's an Ideal Logic Heat 15 and yes that's correct - it's firing up every time hot water is used when it's only programmed to come on between 5 and 6pm.

Sponsored Links
The plot thickens, the question above was "Does the boiler fire up when HW is used and the programmer isn't scheduled to call for HW?" to which you said "yes that's correct - it's firing up every time hot water is used when it's only programmed to come on between 5 and 6pm." so we can take that to mean that it fires up every time hot water is used irrespective of the programmed time, in other words, the boiler will fire up 24/7 if the cylinderstat calls which is what you said originally.
That said, the apparent water usage is enormous as the cylinder should only lose ~ 2kw/day to radiation etc.
If you draw off say 20L of hot water which will take ~ 1.5kwh input then would expect it to fire up for ~ 10 minutes assuming the coil is absorbing around 10kw, obviously a 10 min shower at 20LPM will require far more.

The plot thickens,
That's right, there's something odd going on. The fact that it's programmed between 5 and 6pm is neither here nor there, if everything was right I doubt there would be a noticeable difference if it were on 24/7 (like I run mine). And the boiler definitely shouldn't fire every time a hot tap is used.

Maybe the live in the programmer has been linked to the HW on terminal so everytime the cylinder thermostat requests heat the boiler fires. Check the wiring on the programmers backplate.

Still wouldn't account for that huge usage, the gas meter reading, above shows the customer readings with 4 digits, a "M3" gas meter has 5 digits before the decimal point but a "FT3" gas meter has only 4 digits before the decimal point, of course this would then mean that the consumption for those 30 days was ony 18.73kwh!!.

1698768385768.png

Sorry but I don't understand the questions. Surely the boiler shouldn't fire up at all if it isn't programmed to do so? That's the whole point.
Is the house a new build? If not, any chance of speaking to the previous owners about it?
It sounds like the programmer wiring isn't right, but as others have said, that wouldn't account for the huge consumption.
Could it be a faulty gas meter? It's worth doing the test that Johntheo5 suggested in #11.
It seems unlikely, but could the meter be reading ft3 but calling it m3? If you divide your 661 m3 by 35 = 19 m3, that's pretty much bang on my usage for HW.

Is the house a new build? If not, any chance of speaking to the previous owners about it?
It sounds like the programmer wiring isn't right, but as others have said, that wouldn't account for the huge consumption.
Could it be a faulty gas meter? It's worth doing the test that Johntheo5 suggested in #11.
It seems unlikely, but could the meter be reading ft3 but calling it m3? If you divide your 661 m3 by 35 = 19 m3, that's pretty much bang on my usage for HW.
Thanks, yes it was built in 2017 but we don't have contact with the previous owners.
Just did the test and the meter increased by 0.09 (8457.48 from 8457.39), which if my maths is correct is a consumption of 19.8 in 3 minutes.

Just did the test and the meter increased by 0.09 (8457.48 from 8457.39), which if my maths is correct is a consumption of 19.8 in 3 minutes.
Not with you. What time for the 0.09m3? If it was 3 minutes that's 1.8m3/h. Do you mean 1.8 x 11 kWh/m3 = 19.8kW? That would be a bit high for 15kW output, but not out of the question. At least it rules out it being ft3, as that would be about 0.5kW.
So still puzzled. Are you sure you haven't got a leak of HW somewhere, eg from the cylinder PRV?

Not with you. What time for the 0.09m3? If it was 3 minutes that's 1.8m3/h. Do you mean 1.8 x 11 kWh/m3 = 19.8kW? That would be a bit high for 15kW output, but not out of the question. At least it rules out it being ft3, as that would be about 0.5kW.
So still puzzled. Are you sure you haven't got a leak of HW somewhere, eg from the cylinder PRV?
The meter originally read 8457.39, I turned the boiler on and three minutes later the meter read 8457.48. I'm not aware of any leaks. I think I've made the right choice in contacting an engineer as clearly something between the thermostat, the boiler and the water cylinder is not working as it should.

You will see a black tundish fairly high up on the cylinder under the label "warranty registration" look at the tundish and see if any discharge into this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back