Hot water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I moved into a new house about 9 months ago and since then a number of my showers have been giving me problems.
The heating system I have installed is a Wood Pellet boiler, Scottie OPOP 32 Kw. This heats a 280 lt buffer tank beside it in the garage and is set at 72 degrees. This tank then feeds the house tank when called on which is set at 65, it is also 280lts. Solar also feeds the house tank.
I have ufh throughout which I keep at 20 degrees in living areas and 18 in the bedrooms.
There are 5 showers, 2 'Swadling Precis 4210' and 3 'Aqualisa 609 Aquavalve'.
Generally speaking the swadling showers work well maintaining a good high temp. A different story with the Aqualisa which after an initial burst of hot water quickly cools.
You could then get out of this shower and into one of the swadling showers and the water is fine.
Btw I have a mains pressurized system which stays at about 3 bar however I notice by putting on a tap this drops about .5. I don't know if this would be regular or not or if it would have any bearing on shower temperature.
Any help in the above matter would be greatly appreciated as my installers seem to be at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I moved into a new house about 9 months ago and since then a number of my showers have been giving me problems.
The heating system I have installed is a Wood Pellet boiler, Scottie OPOP 32 Kw. This heats a 280 lt buffer tank beside it in the garage and is set at 72 degrees. This tank then feeds the house tank when called on which is set at 65, it is also 280lts. Solar also feeds the house tank.
I have ufh throughout which I keep at 20 degrees in living areas and 18 in the bedrooms.
There are 5 showers, 2 'Swadling Precis 4210' and 3 'Aqualisa 609 Aquavalve'.
Generally speaking the swadling showers work well maintaining a good high temp. A different story with the Aqualisa which after an initial burst of hot water quickly cools.
You could then get out of this shower and into one of the swadling showers and the water is fine.
Btw I have a mains pressurized system which stays at about 3 bar however I notice by putting on a tap this drops about .5. I don't know if this would be regular or not or if it would have any bearing on shower temperature.
Any help in the above matter would be greatly appreciated as my installers seem to be at a loss.

Mostly installed & used in Europe & just catching on over here, bit like underfloor heating & solar. Unfortunately most of the Engineers on this Forum are going out of fashion & dated. Sounds like an undersized boiler to me but I have only been introduced to wood pellet burners in the last six months so I`m not able to advise. Ever thought of going unvented? :D

Is the "buffer tank" a heat bank/thermal store - I expect so. It should have a name/model on it. Does it have an external (adjacent) heat exchanger and pump?
Measure the flow rates from the two different types of shower, at showering temperature.
If you find that the Aqualisas are higher, it may be that the heat transfer rate in the heat store isn't a high enough for them. If you reduce the volume flow on the Aqualisas do they then keep a constant temp?

How old is the system and do you live in a hard water area or have a water softener?

Burning wood is obviously a rather novel concept for poor Bambie, though it has been around a while

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back