Hot water pump help please?

There is a 22mm pipe going down from the tee next to where you have put the elbows, once you have put the vent back cut out a section of the pipe going down, (there is already a coupler on it) and have the feed into the inlet of the pump and the out from the pump going into the pipe going down.

Sponsored Links
There is a 22mm pipe going down from the tee next to where you have put the elbows, once you have put the vent back cut out a section of the pipe going down, (there is already a coupler on it) and have the feed into the inlet of the pump and the out from the pump going into the pipe going down.

Makes sense, knew I should have stuck to IT, lol. But as I can't get a decent plumber round here ( as they are all flat out and being stolen for jobs in London)with less than a months notice and I'm impatient..... :)

Actually now you've explained and I'm looking at it, makes sense, I had wrongly assumed the upward part of that was feeding my bathroom in the downstairs extension rather than vent/expansion.

But doing it like you've described will make perfecet sense, as at the moment the taps are giving back pressure so any extra pumping power is going up to the expansion tank, doh!

So bearing in mind I only really need one outlet going at a time, should I stick with the pump I have currently got or the higher power one I've ordered?

By the way, really appreciate the help and advice.

The pump will be short lived due to pulling air down open vent pipe.
Either fit an Essex flange or Surrey.

OK, I will get googling, lol.

The pipe above the tee on further investigation DOES feed the downstairs bathroom, so that pipe has had another tee taken off it before the loft cold water tank, (about 20+ years ago by a 'qualified' plumber, then across the loft back down the downstairs bathroom.

I can't work out if that will be a problem or not, on the surface I think that will stay the same once I've repaired the vent pipe, but should I also put a non return valve above the current tee so that the tank can still vent into the expansion but not leak back the other way?

Sponsored Links

Post googling, that DOES look like something I will need to get my plumber to do when he's back from London next. Looks like the potential for LOTS of loose water. But thanks

should I also put a non return valve above the current tee so that the tank can still vent into the expansion but not leak back the other way?
Sure you can....although an imploded cylinder may cause some damage..

Cant win em all :cool:
As said put a surrey flange to make the pump air free, if the down stairs is taken off the vent pipe further up you cant pump the downstairs, no nrvs allowed in the vent pipe.

Cant win em all :cool:
As said put a surrey flange to make the pump air free, if the down stairs is taken off the vent pipe further up you cant pump the downstairs, no nrvs allowed in the vent pipe.

Yes, makes sense again, although that looks well beyond what I want to mess with, so I'll get that booked in tomorrow.

So is this forum for qualified plumbers only? I seem to have missed the point completely, but got the help/advice I need from very helpful members, the likes of your post and steelmasons however pretty much guarantee that I and many other new members will never bother visiting again.
don't get all sensitive about it FFS , you got your end game in the end didn't you and you know what to do now ;) and your moaning about it . come on man their only having a laugh , don't take it personal

Mains water carries dissolved gasses, boil a pan of the stuff & watch it being driven off, thats all them little bubbles around the edge.
When you heat the cylinder the same happens which is one reason you have an open vent. To allow them to escape.

With your plumbing they become trapped at the top of the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back