Hot water recirculation pump good idea? Grundfos?

Sponsored Links
Surface area of coil? Diameter? ΔT? Flow Rate?

The coil was specified as 5 parallel coils of 10 ( or was it 8 ) mm copper tube, the total length provides a total internal surface area of 0.25 sq metres ( that is from memory ) (*).

Delta T who knows

Flow rate adequate. Has been described as very good ( better than ours ) by visitors with a shower and a combi ( kW unknown ). About 10 lotese per minute of hot water which when nixed with cold gives a very good shower.

The original design was to use a LA14TL 20 plate and pump. But scaling up of the plates, the need for a pump and a control system to switch the pump on and off and other factors put an end to that design and the simple yet effective passive coil in the cylinder won out ( I still have the un-used LA14TL if anyone needs one ).

The bottom line is the set up works.

(*) I will confess that I did "calculate" the required surface area of copper tube from the surface area of the plates in the LA14TL as well as by using the more formal and complex. method.

Sponsored Links
The coil was specified as 5 parallel coils of 10 ( or was it 8 ) mm copper tube, the total length provides a total internal surface area of 0.25 sq metres ( that is from memory ) (*).

Delta T who knows

Flow rate adequate. Has been described as very good ( better than ours ) by visitors with a shower and a combi ( kW unknown ). About 10 lotese per minute of hot water which when nixed with cold gives a very good shower.

The original design was to use a LA14TL 20 plate and pump. But scaling up of the plates, the need for a pump and a control system to switch the pump on and off and other factors put an end to that design and the simple yet effective passive coil in the cylinder won out ( I still have the un-used LA14TL if anyone needs one ).

The bottom line is the set up works.

(*) I will confess that I did "calculate" the required surface area of copper tube from the surface area of the plates in the LA14TL as well as by using the more formal and complex. method.

8/10 mm copper will scale up quicker than a plate and parallel circuits can't be descaled reliably.

And how much was this contraption?

I've just had a cylinder made to order and even an extra immersion tapping and side tapping for a shower added significantly to the cost.

The cylinder delivered was under £200.

De-scaling of parallel circuits can be a problem but a risk worth taking. The same applies to plate exchanges that cannot be taken apart to have acess each plate's entire surface area,

2011 fact.

Admitted the plate exchanges that can be dis-assembled are those most often used for heating and cooling food products. Some district heating plate exchangers could be dis-assembled for inspection and cleaning.

It's not a fact until you produce the invoice
Ooops it was more than £200. £207.
cylinder invoice.jpg

I've just had a cylinder made to order and even an extra immersion tapping and side tapping for a shower added significantly to the cost.

I've shown you mine, how much was yours ?

But that is a tiny cylinder too.

With hindsight and three people having showers a larger cylinder would have been better, Also I did overlook the amount of copper inside the tank did mean there was less volume of hot water to store the heat. It could be replaced. There is 2 foot of free space above it and the floor will take the extra weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back