Hot water running hot then cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when I run the hot water tap the water is hot for about a minute then goes cold for approximately the same amount of time before it gets hot again, I ran the hot water and noticed the burner light on my combi boiler comes on then flashes when the water goes cold. My boiler is a ideal evo he c22/35. Can anyone advice me on what the problem is please.

Sponsored Links
When was it last serviced?
If it hasn't been for years then get it serviced and ask the engineer, before he arrives, if he could have a look at that issue.

Sh*t in the plate heat exchanger (thats what it is, not advice on what to do ;)).

Is this a new installation?

If so, it sounds like what happened with my Viessmann System. The installer probably did program the boiler to use the combi unit.
Look through your manual to see whether or not there is a way to program your boiler to use the combi unit.

For me, it was a series of turns on the boiler interface (hot water temp and boiler hot water temp control knobs)

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your replies, my boiler is 9 years old and I have had it serviced regularly,last service was in august this year. I have turned the unit off and back on,changed the programme setting and still the same, the central heating is working fine it is just when I turn the hot water on that the burner switches off even with the central heating on. Someone suggested it maybe the diverter switch, does this sound correct?

I agree with post 3 also, secondary heat exchanger, have a look in your boiler manual where it is in the boiler and part number. Normally removed with just 2 screws, but you can find new ones for most boilers from about £50-£80, I changed mine last winter it was slightly clogged up with lime scale, I kept my old one and cleaned it up with strong lime scale remover took a couple of days of soaking, I will re fit my old one when this one fails and clean that one up. The last one lasted 6 years so might be a while yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back