hot water scalding hands on combi boiler

T

tilly74

we have a vaillant ecotec pro28.
everytime the central heating is on and you run the hot water it will scald your hands because the water out of the tap is the same temperature as the water in the radiators regardless of what temperature the hot water is set at.
For example if the water temp is set at 45 and the heating temp is set at 65 then the hot water is run is at 65 and not 45 so you scald your hands.
it only does it when heating is on, when off the hot water temp is fine.
Have now resorted to turning boiler off at switch and letting hot run until cold and then turning back on again to get normal temp hot water,bloody nuisance but it works.
Help, any solutions :(

Sponsored Links
looked outside boys :LOL: , getting loads of calls for 'no heating' still. particularly the elderly and unwell.

Sponsored Links
looked outside boys :LOL: , getting loads of calls for 'no heating' still. particularly the elderly and unwell.
I'm sure that a lot of these elderly people are unwell because they spend the entire time in a grossly overheated environment and never get any fresh air.

Everyone has been to such places - the ones where although it's baking hot outside, when the front door opens, a wall of heat knocks you back into the garden.

i know what you mean, but most of the ones ive been to have been fairly 'normal' folk.

the worst are teenage boys bedrooms.there's no 'retch' emoticon.

there's no 'retch' emoticon.
They're out there, if you know where to look:
puke.gif

smiley-sick006.gif

smiley-sick016.gif

Dont think theres owt wrong with it.
Does the hw temp reduce down if you leave the tap running for a bit?
Combi's always come hotter quicker if heatings been on as the primary temperature is much greater.

The temperature displayed on the boiler when in hot water mode is the primary temperature, not the actual hot water temperature. This will always be approx 20C above the actual water temperature from the hot tap. How are you measuring the hot water temperature?

Tilly, there is no way the temperature of HW will be 65 degrees if you are running the tap fully open at which point internal component in the boiler controls the flow rate.

You will not even get designated hot water temperature if there is 'leakage' through the diverter if heating on.

My boiler is in winder mode 24/7/365. I let the controls switch the heating on when AMBIENT temperature drops NOT because it is winter. Heating might kick in during a chilly summers day for a short period and not necessarily run just because Christmas is just around the corner.

Sounds like a perfectly working boiler to me. If you have ran the hot tap and the temp does not fall to the set temp then there is a fault. my guess would be you are getting a slug of hot water that has been sat in the boiler a while.
Does the temp fall to set temp?
Your hands are not a thermometer!

Hi. I know old thread. But my parents house has a similar issue with another Valiant combi.

We have the boiler in a downstairs bathroom and a wall mixer douche hose. Only when the boiler is on the water is scalding hot no matter whether its set to cold or not. The handle gets too hot to touch even.

Did we come to a conclusion in this?

a wall mixer douche hose.

Get rid of the douche, sorry to say but if it's connected directly to the mains then technically it's an illegal installation. UK water regulations don't allow them to be connected to the mains.

Please don't resurrect old posts, by all means create a new post and then reference this one, it avoids confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back