Hot water storage with a combi boiler system ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although my combi boiler works OK for the CH and gives sufficient hot water flow at the sink taps, it takes a long time to fill a bath. Can a hot water storage tank be fitted to the closed hot water system or do I need a separate immersion heated conventional tank etc specifically for the bath supply or power shower??

Sponsored Links
oakhampton said:
Although my combi boiler works OK for the CH and gives sufficient hot water flow at the sink taps, it takes a long time to fill a bath. Can a hot water storage tank be fitted to the closed hot water system or do I need a separate immersion heated conventional tank etc specifically for the bath supply or power shower??

Yes, done that a few times.

You'd set it up as an S Plan, with two 2-port zone valves on the heating flow pipe from the boiler. The two end switches on the zone valve actuators are wired in parallel, so a demand for HTG OR HWS (from the storage cylinder) would enable the boiler heating circuit.

You'd need a new programmer The wiring needs prior thought.

The purpose of a combi is to get rid of the HWS storage cylinder and the CW storage cistern in the loft. Sounds like it was inappropriate for your needs. You'd need a new CW storage cistern (if it's been removed) or an unvented HWS cylinder (, which should only be fitted by someone with the appropriate qualification).

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm

Sponsored Links
As Water Systems will be quick to tell you there are unfortunately quite a few "plumbers" who have become CORGI registered who dont really understand how boilers work.

Any genuine heating engineer will know exactly what a combi does and how it can be integrated into a system combining a storage cylinder with a direct hot water supply ( often to the kitchen ).

Because combis are about 70% of the boiler market its often cheaper to use them either as an instant water heater or as a system boiler or as both together.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back