Hot water takes a while to come through tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea as to why my new combi boiler takes a while to heat up water? I have to pretty much fill a whole bowl of water for washing up before it gets hot. When it does get hot it is nice and hot, but it's just the time it takes to reach this. I understand the bathroom tap taking longer due to distance but the kitchen sink is next to the boiler. Sometimes it's coming out warm like its about to get hot, then runs cold before eventually getting hot... The plumber said its something to do with the heating being on as well?
I was just wondering if this is normal for a combi?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea as to why my new combi boiler takes a while to heat up water? I have to pretty much fill a whole bowl of water for washing up before it gets hot. When it does get hot it is nice and hot, but it's just the time it takes to reach this. I understand the bathroom tap taking longer due to distance but the kitchen sink is next to the boiler. Sometimes it's coming out warm like its about to get hot, then runs cold before eventually getting hot... The plumber said its something to do with the heating being on as well?
I was just wondering if this is normal for a combi?
Thanks

This is normal, but if you don`t turn the hot tap on full, the water will get hot quicker

Sorry! Its an Ideal Logic+35

I heard the opposite, that you should turn the tap on full to get water hotter quicker, but this was for a much older combi boiler. Either way, I have tried both and still takes a while (or longer than I hoped it would anyway!)

Sponsored Links
If your old boiler wasn't a combi there was probably an airing cupboard upstairs with a tank in it. My guess is that the installer has been lazy and is sending the water 'round the houses' using the old pipework. Can you trace where you pipes go?

Yes we have put Pre Heat on and its not making much of a difference, if at all, should we be able to hear it fire up every so often with this mode on? As I haven't heard anything when at home since Pre Heat has been on.

Yes we had the tank and immersion heater removed, the central heating was actually heated electrically via the immersion (we moved in earlier this year and the previous owner just used to keep the immersion switch on all the time - we couldn't understand why this set up was used tbh!) But yes we now have no tank, the plumber installed a small radiator in the airing cupboard for us so we still have some warmth in there. But as far as we can see, there are no new pipes, apart frm obviously that new rad and the pipes from the boiler itself. (Presumably flooring would need to have been taken up for new piping? -Which it wasn't!)

Can you follow a pipe from your boiler to your sink? If not they will have used to old pipework which means your hot water goes upstairs and back down again - which is why it is taking so much water before the hot reaches you.

Your boiler should fire up about every 90 minutes for the preheat, what does it say on the display ?

Thanks for your replies guys

Yes there is a pipe going from the boiler to the sink.

Regarding Pre Heat, I read about the pre heat every 90 mins, but I have not noticed it saying anything different on the display, when the heating is off I have not noticed it firing up or doing anything - at the risk of sounding thick how long should it take to heat up/what noise should it make lol
When the heating is on, its making the usual central heating noise, and it says 'central heating' and the temp on the display, then 'pump overrun' when its got to temp (actually, is it right for it to stay saying this for at least 15 mins and the rads cool down before going off?)

Also, there is a rattle noise which I think is coming from the pressure guage which is quite annoying, and the plumber says he will try and get to the bottom of it.. any ideas on what size job that is to fix?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back