Hot water tank and Thermal Store difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could any kind hearted person please explain to me what is the difference between a normal hot water tank and a thermal store? I have been hearing about them but cannot understand the difference! :oops: Are they more efficient ?

Thank you so much for reading my post and I look forward to your replies.

Sponsored Links
A 'normal ' hot water cylinder stores secondary water; i.e that which comes out of your taps. This is heated by primary water from your boiler through a coil inside your cylinder.
A thermal store holds primary water from your boiler, and this is circulated through the heating system, either radiators or under floor, by pumps. Your secondary water is produced via a heat exchanger within the thermal store.
This explanation is probably as clear as mud, which is what usually collects in the bottom of your thermal store.

And the great disadvantage of a thermal store is that it has to be kept really hot for when hot water is wanted, that is, at a higher temp so that heat transfer can take place. This can be wastefully hot when central heating is used. It is better to store hot water at the temperature of use, and heat central heating water as and when required. Naturally, this is best with weather compensated control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back