Thermal Store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experience with this company:
https://thermal-store.co.uk/thermal-store-price-lmt.php

I am looking at their LMT 300 litre store with a DN32 hot water coil that has a 6.3 square meter surface area.

I can't find any information about the company or where the tanks are made. They are probably imported, I would pay a little more if someone makes something like this locally in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Company address is a London Office which seems to house a lot of other companies, suspect it is only a trading/mailing address. I'd be very wary of doing any business with them!

As above, better to buy from a known manufacturer who actually have a proper premises

Sponsored Links
No mention of any safety devices being included in the price.

You could try

https://www.newarkcoppercylinder.co.uk/thermalstore-cylinders.html

for UK manufactured thermal stores.

The two problems I found with most stores on the UK market, including Newark are:
1) Most are designed for vented use.
2) The hot water coils are undersized, so they need to be run at a high temperature

The one I linked to above is designed for unvented use (up to 3 bar), as it is made of mild steel and would rust otherwise. It has a massive 6.3 square meter hot water coil, which means it can be run at a low temperature (60C).

In a previous house I had a similar one made in Germany that had a 4.1 square meter coil, used to run it at 65C:
http://plumbingsupplies24.co.uk/hygienic-buffer-storage-tank-vertical/

Surely someone in the UK must make something similar?

The company is run by a 35 year old from the Czech Republic...and it looks like a classic drop shipping operation ie. no stock is held here although there appears to be a "warehouse" near Brno.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.975...U9w5Ae_tKVUeIA5zYvag!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Looking at the addresses it is run from a flat in Bedford...each cylinder probably coming directly from Czech Republic.
The accounts show insignificant trading so I'd guess it's just a sideline business (and a few years ago it appears his mother or a relation took over for a while).

The cylinder model no.s are unique to hide the original cylinder manufacturing source (I guess they could even be of Polish origin being so close).
There's no worthwhile documentation on any of his multiple websites..nothing to verify their legitimate sale, type approvals etc.
I'd guess warranty and backup if any would be hopeless.
You'd have to be mad to deal with the "company".

The two problems I found with most stores on the UK market, including Newark are:
1) Most are designed for vented use.
2) The hot water coils are undersized, so they need to be run at a high temperature

(1) Nothing wrong with a vented cylinder / thermal store. No requirement for the annual safety check on the necessary safety devices that an unvented cylinder has to have.

(2) specify the size of coil you want fitted. That is what I did.

The company is run by a 35 year old from the Czech Republic...and it looks like a classic drop shipping operation ie. no stock is held here although there appears to be a "warehouse" near Brno.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.975...U9w5Ae_tKVUeIA5zYvag!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Looking at the addresses it is run from a flat in Bedford...each cylinder probably coming directly from Czech Republic.
The accounts show insignificant trading so I'd guess it's just a sideline business (and a few years ago it appears his mother or a relation took over for a while).

The cylinder model no.s are unique to hide the original cylinder manufacturing source (I guess they could even be of Polish origin being so close).
There's no worthwhile documentation on any of his multiple websites..nothing to verify their legitimate sale, type approvals etc.
I'd guess warranty and backup if any would be hopeless.
You'd have to be mad to deal with the "company".

That is great, thanks. My guess was Poland as well, they are pretty good at making heavy steel stuff. It is a bit of a shame to find what looks like a nice product, but not from a reliable supplier. I would also prefer to buy something made in the UK if possible, and I can't help but wonder if someone here doesn't make something similar.

(1) Nothing wrong with a vented cylinder / thermal store. No requirement for the annual safety check on the necessary safety devices that an unvented cylinder has to have.

(2) specify the size of coil you want fitted. That is what I did.

I am installing brand new cast iron decorative radiators, and would rather not have the rads and the boiler exposed to the corrosive effects of a vented system. Even with inhibitor, a vented system constantly lets in oxygen. Unvented systems are superior in this regard, which is why you can use a plain steel cylinder. I am also not fond of the tank in the loft.

Why?

If you told us a bit more about your planned setup and what you're trying to achieve, it would be much easier to help you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back