Thermal Store - adding gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post.

We've recently bought a true 2-bed bungalow in the North West of England. We don't live there yet, currently using it as an office due to COVID while we finish the refurb.

It has a 170l thermal store in the loft taking its heat from a 12kw (to water) boiler stove. I've posted links of both below for info. The thermal store has a 3kw immersion heater installed.

The property has been de-energised of gas. Original plan was to go down the solar PV route to heat the TS along with the boiler stove - still undecided on this route. Solar thermal is out of scope at the moment, as the TS has a single internal coil only for domestic hot water supply.

I've contacted the manufacturer of the TS and they've advised it's not possible to add a gas boiler and a boiler stove to the same system using my thermal store. I've attached a picture of the current setup - replace boiler with boiler stove however. The boiler stove feeds the TS by gravity loop - this works very well no issues.

Can anybody advise if it is possible to add a gas boiler to heat the thermal store in conjunction with the boiler stove so that it does not affect the gravity loop? Is it possible to use a plate heat exchanger to separate the systems?

If it's possible I need to call the gas network to enquire about cost of re-connection (I can hear my wallet crying). Depending on the overall cost, may still go down the solar PV route - interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Thermal Store
https://www.advanceappliances.co.uk...ore-direct-with-cold-section-single-coil-tsd/

Boiler Stove
https://www.aradastoves.com/ecoboiler-wood/p36761

Attachments

• Thermal Store.PNG
    Thermal Store.PNG
    251.8 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
I've contacted the manufacturer of the TS and they've advised it's not possible to add a gas boiler and a boiler stove to the same system using my thermal store

Can anybody advise if it is possible to add a gas boiler to heat the thermal store in conjunction with the boiler stove

So the manu tells you no, so you come onto an internet site hoping someone will tell you to go ahead ???

I fear the manufacturer was trying to get me to fork out for another TS which is twice the price.

I came on here for an unbiased opinion from others who may have similar systems and can further advise.

I'm no expert, but I can't see why it couldn't work with a heat exchanger and system boiler.

Anybody got and useful comments?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you cant cut into these stores, they used to make a product called a sidewinder that screwed into the immersion heater boss, it was a small heat exchanger that turned direct cylinders into indirect, might be worth a search.

Unfortunately you cant cut into these stores, they used to make a product called a sidewinder that screwed into the immersion heater boss, it was a small heat exchanger that turned direct cylinders into indirect, might be worth a search.

A sidewinder was a coil ( I fitted loads of them back in the day), the OP has a direct store so no need for a coil.

Thermal Store.PNG

The OP was assuming he could use the same tappings as the stove for his gas boiler hence the plate heat exchanger idea,
using two Essex flanges for the gas boiler will work.

Should be fun watching you drill a couple of essex flanges into this...

Capture.PNG

H2panel.co.uk they have a solution that allows the use of mixed sources of heat with a single coil

I believe you would actually try and drill a couple of holes in a stainless steel cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back